What's new: 'Your Happily Ever After' by Dieter F. Uchtdorf
"YOUR HAPPILY EVER AFTER," by Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Deseret Book, $14.99, 57 pages
Between the "Once upon a time" and the "happily ever after" in stories, the main character has to experience some trials and adversity. And it's that way in life between each person's "Once upon a time" and "happily ever after," President Dieter F. Uchtdorf says in "Your Happily Ever After," a recently released book from Deseret Book, based on an April 2010 talk in the general young women's meeting.
"(Heavenly Father) has granted you this earthly life as a precious gift of 'once upon a time,' complete with your own true story of adventure, trial and opportunities for greatness, nobility, courage and love," says President Uchtdorf, second counselor in the First Presidency. "Heavenly Father offers to you the greatest gift of all — eternal life — and the opportuniy and infinite blessings of your own 'happily ever after.’ ”
The book is divided into three chapters: "Trial is Part of the Journey," "Stay True to What You Know is Right" and "The Gospel is the Way to Happily Ever After."
President Uchtdorf shares a story of his own "happily ever after" about when he met Harriet and later tried to impress her by offering to take her to church on his bike. She declined, but her mother accepted. Also, it wasn't what young Dieter had expected.
"Actually, looking back I recognize that it doesn't hurt at all to be on good terms with the mother of the girl of your dreams," he wrote.
He wasn't defeated. After fighter pilot training, Harriet responded positively to his courting, and within a few months they were married.
"The process hasn't been easy — there were moments of suffering and despair — but finally my happiness was full, and it still is, even most so," President Uchtdorf says. Those words are across from a picture of the young, happy couple.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 71
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 59
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 41
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 26
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11