What's new: 'Your Happily Ever After' by Dieter F. Uchtdorf
"YOUR HAPPILY EVER AFTER," by Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Deseret Book, $14.99, 57 pages
Between the "Once upon a time" and the "happily ever after" in stories, the main character has to experience some trials and adversity. And it's that way in life between each person's "Once upon a time" and "happily ever after," President Dieter F. Uchtdorf says in "Your Happily Ever After," a recently released book from Deseret Book, based on an April 2010 talk in the general young women's meeting.
"(Heavenly Father) has granted you this earthly life as a precious gift of 'once upon a time,' complete with your own true story of adventure, trial and opportunities for greatness, nobility, courage and love," says President Uchtdorf, second counselor in the First Presidency. "Heavenly Father offers to you the greatest gift of all — eternal life — and the opportuniy and infinite blessings of your own 'happily ever after.’ ”
The book is divided into three chapters: "Trial is Part of the Journey," "Stay True to What You Know is Right" and "The Gospel is the Way to Happily Ever After."
President Uchtdorf shares a story of his own "happily ever after" about when he met Harriet and later tried to impress her by offering to take her to church on his bike. She declined, but her mother accepted. Also, it wasn't what young Dieter had expected.
"Actually, looking back I recognize that it doesn't hurt at all to be on good terms with the mother of the girl of your dreams," he wrote.
He wasn't defeated. After fighter pilot training, Harriet responded positively to his courting, and within a few months they were married.
"The process hasn't been easy — there were moments of suffering and despair — but finally my happiness was full, and it still is, even most so," President Uchtdorf says. Those words are across from a picture of the young, happy couple.
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't capture...
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- Elder Perry to undergo cancer treatment,...
- 27 more tips for couples: Marriage advice,...
- 6 ways youths, leaders can reboot the church...
- Ground broken for Star Valley Wyoming Temple
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting religious...
- Streaming video: Long-awaited Star Valley...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting... 100
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the... 62
- Spiritual journey leads 3-term U.S.... 51
- Physicist tells New York Times he keeps... 37
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't... 25
- 5 professional athletes who stand up... 22
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Sweeping size of Payson Temple reflects... 17