In fact, in today's sports climate, the accompanying cable network is almost a prerequisite when a franchise is sold. Such was the case with the sale of the Boston Red Sox along with the New England Sports Network and the pending Los Angeles Dodgers sale with Fox Sports West and Fox Sports Net 2.
Utahn Dave Checketts, who owns Real Salt Lake and the NHL's St. Louis Blues and has tried to buy the Rams, I believe, is trying to model the YES Network — pair franchises with cable networks.
Why do you think the NFL created the NFL Network? TV is the golden goose and schools, conferences and sports leagues are seeing the opportunity to own more than just the broadcast rights; they want to own the broadcast to boot.
Everybody wants to create or enhance their brand, tailor their message, reach the masses and reap the rewards. That’s why BYU, BYU-TV, and their ESPN partnership will be monitored so closely by so many.
Vai Sikahema is the Sports Director and Anchor for NBC10 Philadelphia and host of the "Vai & Gonzo Show" on ESPN Philadelphia Radio. He is a two-time All-Pro, two-time Emmy Award winner and was a member of BYU's 1984 National Championship team.
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay forever
- BYU football: Baker Pritchard discusses...
- Surviving the unthinkable: Utah lineman who...
- Forget Kaepernick, Taysom Hill should be...
- Dick Harmon: Many expect Jabari Parker to...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 52
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 50
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 45
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 43
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24
- Doug Robinson: Basketball needs a new,... 24