Prosecutors rest in Warren Jeffs trial after playing tape of alleged assault with 12-year-old
When Walther overruled him, Jeffs voiced one more half-hearted protest but was cut off. He remained seated and silent as the tape played for more than 10 minutes.
Authorities also seized Jeffs' personal journals from the YFZ ranch. In documenting what took place the night the recording was made, Jeffs wrote that the girl "experienced a heavenly session with us and obtained a greater testimony." He said he was directing another of his wives to take the recording of his "training" with the girl to a variety of FLDS settlements so others could learn from it — helping to explain why it was in the Escalade when he was arrested.
In another written excerpt, Jeffs says "though 12 years old, she has advanced quickly and got close. And she is being prepared to be a strength in the heavenly sessions." Hanna testified previously that "getting close" is how Jeffs refers to having sex.
A birth certificate recovered from the ranch indicated the girl from the recording had turned 12 just 33 days before it was made. Prosecutors showed an FLDS record indicating she was married to Jeffs in July 2006 and jurors saw photos of the couple deep kissing.
Jeffs tried unsuccessfully three times to have the judge removed from the case, his last motion quoting God as saying she will suffer a crippling sickness that will soon kill her. Without the jury present Friday, Jeffs read a statement he claimed was from God promising that the heavens would bring sickness and death to all involved if his trial wasn't stopped.
Contributing: John Hollenhorst
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- Repo man charged with manslaughter in...
- Herbert appoints new 3rd District Court judge
- Polygamous food stamp fraud trial pushed back...
- Bomb threats called in to 2 Utah schools
- 4 honored with 2016 Public Service Awards
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 105
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 15
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 12
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9