Former state budget analyst sentenced to prison for sex abuse
FARMINGTON — A former analyst in the state Office of Planning and Budget was ordered to spend at least 15 years in prison for child sex abuse charges.
Stephen J. Coleman, 40, was sentenced Tuesday by 2nd District Judge Glen Dawson for both attempted sodomy of a child and aggravated sexual abuse of a child, first-degree felonies.
Dawson ordered the two 15-years-to-life prison terms to run concurrent and ordered that the restitution in the case remain open.
Coleman was initially charged with three counts of sodomy of a child and six counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child, all first-degree felonies, but the additional charges were dismissed when the man pleaded guilty in June. Coleman was abusing two females with whom he was "in a position of special trust," the charges state, between January of 2009 and March 2011.
Police were notified of the abuse in March by the Division of Child and Family Services, which became involved after receiving a call from a concerned third party who knows the family. Coleman was arrested at his office in the state Capitol.
A month later, an official said Coleman was no longer employed by the state. Coleman had been on the governor's budget staff since 2009, but he reported to the state's budget director and not to Gov. Gary Herbert personally.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Payson to hold hearing on proposed tax increase
- UDOT plans to upgrade Redwood Road in...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 27
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14