In recent days, numerous conferences have held their annual media days, featuring preseason polls and prognostications.
At the Southeastern Conference media days, BYU's season-opening opponent, Ole Miss, was picked to finish dead last in the SEC West.
"That doesn't bother me," coach Houston Nutt said. "I don't worry about that. I like the position. Again, it's about what you do on the field in between those lines. You just want a team to play with an unbelievable amount of passion and spirit, and you want your guys representing Ole Miss the right way."
About the Cougars, Nutt said, "It's very important to get off on the right foot and we're playing a very good football team. They've got a lot of tradition at BYU and we're looking forward to it."
The following week, BYU faces Texas, which was picked to finish fifth in the 10-team Big 12 Conference.
Read here about the Longhorns' unsettled quarterback situation.
Meanwhile, Texas' deal to partner with ESPN to create the Longhorn Network is causing some controversy around the Big 12.
Turning to basketball, BYU is one of many teams recruiting Jabari Parker, one of the top high school prospects in the nation. Parker is LDS and he talks about his faith in this article by Seth Davis on SI.com.
Writes Davis: "Before Jabari Parker takes the floor to play a basketball game, he sits by himself in the locker room for a couple of minutes of prayer and reflection. 'I pray that God keeps me safe on the floor, and that I'm able to have a good attitude towards my teammates,' he says. When the game ends, Parker heeds that higher calling by rushing to be first in line to shake hands. 'I just want to show the opponents that I'm grateful,' he says. 'I want to show good sportsmanship.'"
Read here about Jimmermania striking Saratoga, in the form of horse racing.
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- BYU football hosts 'Friday Night Lights'...
- Runnin' Utes take on Duke in Texas-sized venue
- Utah football: Booker's return lifts offense,...
- Former Duke and Utah player Chris Burgess...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 207
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 67
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 21