In recent days, numerous conferences have held their annual media days, featuring preseason polls and prognostications.
At the Southeastern Conference media days, BYU's season-opening opponent, Ole Miss, was picked to finish dead last in the SEC West.
"That doesn't bother me," coach Houston Nutt said. "I don't worry about that. I like the position. Again, it's about what you do on the field in between those lines. You just want a team to play with an unbelievable amount of passion and spirit, and you want your guys representing Ole Miss the right way."
About the Cougars, Nutt said, "It's very important to get off on the right foot and we're playing a very good football team. They've got a lot of tradition at BYU and we're looking forward to it."
The following week, BYU faces Texas, which was picked to finish fifth in the 10-team Big 12 Conference.
Read here about the Longhorns' unsettled quarterback situation.
Meanwhile, Texas' deal to partner with ESPN to create the Longhorn Network is causing some controversy around the Big 12.
Turning to basketball, BYU is one of many teams recruiting Jabari Parker, one of the top high school prospects in the nation. Parker is LDS and he talks about his faith in this article by Seth Davis on SI.com.
Writes Davis: "Before Jabari Parker takes the floor to play a basketball game, he sits by himself in the locker room for a couple of minutes of prayer and reflection. 'I pray that God keeps me safe on the floor, and that I'm able to have a good attitude towards my teammates,' he says. When the game ends, Parker heeds that higher calling by rushing to be first in line to shake hands. 'I just want to show the opponents that I'm grateful,' he says. 'I want to show good sportsmanship.'"
Read here about Jimmermania striking Saratoga, in the form of horse racing.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18