Blue roundup: Former Cougars excited for end of NFL lockout
BYU is less than two weeks away from opening fall camp. Meanwhile, a host of former Cougars will soon be returning to work now that the National Football League's lockout is over.
Among the intriguing storylines includes quarterback John Beck, who could be the starter for the Washington Redskins this fall. The Washington Times reports that Beck drove straight to team headquarters when he learned the lockout ended, but wasn't allowed in.
"I'm just excited that this is done," Beck told the Times.
Now that the lockout has lifted, safety Andrew Rich and defensive lineman Vic So'oto have been invited to training camp after going undrafted last April. Rich will join the Arizona Cardinals while So'oto is headed to Green Bay.
The Baltimore Ravens have decided to release tight end Todd Heap, meaning former BYU star Dennis Pitta, who was a rookie last season, could see increased playing time this season. Pitta mainly played on special teams last season.
In other news ...
Here's ESPN.com's take on former BYU guard Jackson Emery's decision not to pursue a professional basketball career.
Former Utah State and BYU assistant Dave Rice, who is now UNLV's head coach, is recruiting a player that could play a Jimmer Fredette-like role for the Runnin' Rebels in the future.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- BYU falls to Memphis 55-48 in double overtime...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- Utes capped comeback season with lopsided Las...
- BYU falls to Memphis 55-48 in double... 90
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 36
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26