Blue roundup: Former Cougars excited for end of NFL lockout
BYU is less than two weeks away from opening fall camp. Meanwhile, a host of former Cougars will soon be returning to work now that the National Football League's lockout is over.
Among the intriguing storylines includes quarterback John Beck, who could be the starter for the Washington Redskins this fall. The Washington Times reports that Beck drove straight to team headquarters when he learned the lockout ended, but wasn't allowed in.
"I'm just excited that this is done," Beck told the Times.
Now that the lockout has lifted, safety Andrew Rich and defensive lineman Vic So'oto have been invited to training camp after going undrafted last April. Rich will join the Arizona Cardinals while So'oto is headed to Green Bay.
The Baltimore Ravens have decided to release tight end Todd Heap, meaning former BYU star Dennis Pitta, who was a rookie last season, could see increased playing time this season. Pitta mainly played on special teams last season.
In other news ...
Here's ESPN.com's take on former BYU guard Jackson Emery's decision not to pursue a professional basketball career.
Former Utah State and BYU assistant Dave Rice, who is now UNLV's head coach, is recruiting a player that could play a Jimmer Fredette-like role for the Runnin' Rebels in the future.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16