Blue roundup: Former Cougars excited for end of NFL lockout
BYU is less than two weeks away from opening fall camp. Meanwhile, a host of former Cougars will soon be returning to work now that the National Football League's lockout is over.
Among the intriguing storylines includes quarterback John Beck, who could be the starter for the Washington Redskins this fall. The Washington Times reports that Beck drove straight to team headquarters when he learned the lockout ended, but wasn't allowed in.
"I'm just excited that this is done," Beck told the Times.
Now that the lockout has lifted, safety Andrew Rich and defensive lineman Vic So'oto have been invited to training camp after going undrafted last April. Rich will join the Arizona Cardinals while So'oto is headed to Green Bay.
The Baltimore Ravens have decided to release tight end Todd Heap, meaning former BYU star Dennis Pitta, who was a rookie last season, could see increased playing time this season. Pitta mainly played on special teams last season.
In other news ...
Here's ESPN.com's take on former BYU guard Jackson Emery's decision not to pursue a professional basketball career.
Former Utah State and BYU assistant Dave Rice, who is now UNLV's head coach, is recruiting a player that could play a Jimmer Fredette-like role for the Runnin' Rebels in the future.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33