Alvaro Saborio is back. He was a monster on the front line, playing a near perfect game with his back to the goal winning every header and showing tremendous hustle on both sides of the ball. He produced two beautiful power shots in the first half alone. His 63rd-minute goal off a penalty kick that sent San Jose's Bobby Burling off with a straight red card must have felt like sweet redemption for a guy who's taken a lot of flack, perhaps deservedly, for less than stellar play this season. His rebound goal in the 75th minute seemed a reward from the soccer gods for the change of attitude it's taken to make the comeback. Welcome back! Man of the Match. Grade: A
Fabian Espindola was too much for San Jose to handle. His combination play with a rising Saborio was a joy to watch. Even when double- and triple-teamed, Espindola was impossible for the Earthquakes to mark. He slipped past the defense on numerous occasions and usually found a player streaking into the box. When he was able to face up to the goal, he made San Jose keeper Jon Busch earn his keep with two very good saves. Grade: A
Collen Warner replaced Williams and didn't miss a beat. While he wasn't called on to do much, the few opportunities he had to touch the ball showed confidence and skill as Warner helped Real maintain total control of the ball during the minutes that saw Real gather a bushel of goals. Grade: B+
Arturo Alvarez replaced Grabavoy in the 79th minute and struggled to find his rhythm. Luckily the game was already in hand and Alvarez was happy to keep San Jose from mounting anything resembling an attack in the final minutes of the game. Grade: B
Luis Gil came on for Johnson in the 82nd minute but played too few minutes to make much of an impact. Grade: Incomplete
Chris Higbee is the Product Director for DeseretNews.com. He can be found on Twitter @chigbee.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 95
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 78
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 59
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 42