Alvaro Saborio is back. He was a monster on the front line, playing a near perfect game with his back to the goal winning every header and showing tremendous hustle on both sides of the ball. He produced two beautiful power shots in the first half alone. His 63rd-minute goal off a penalty kick that sent San Jose's Bobby Burling off with a straight red card must have felt like sweet redemption for a guy who's taken a lot of flack, perhaps deservedly, for less than stellar play this season. His rebound goal in the 75th minute seemed a reward from the soccer gods for the change of attitude it's taken to make the comeback. Welcome back! Man of the Match. Grade: A
Fabian Espindola was too much for San Jose to handle. His combination play with a rising Saborio was a joy to watch. Even when double- and triple-teamed, Espindola was impossible for the Earthquakes to mark. He slipped past the defense on numerous occasions and usually found a player streaking into the box. When he was able to face up to the goal, he made San Jose keeper Jon Busch earn his keep with two very good saves. Grade: A
Collen Warner replaced Williams and didn't miss a beat. While he wasn't called on to do much, the few opportunities he had to touch the ball showed confidence and skill as Warner helped Real maintain total control of the ball during the minutes that saw Real gather a bushel of goals. Grade: B+
Arturo Alvarez replaced Grabavoy in the 79th minute and struggled to find his rhythm. Luckily the game was already in hand and Alvarez was happy to keep San Jose from mounting anything resembling an attack in the final minutes of the game. Grade: B
Luis Gil came on for Johnson in the 82nd minute but played too few minutes to make much of an impact. Grade: Incomplete
Chris Higbee is the Product Director for DeseretNews.com. He can be found on Twitter @chigbee.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48