Dick Harmon: Jimmer Fredette camp doesn't disappoint admirers
Haws and Murphy just finished a year in which they took their program to all 50 states in schools, leagues and camps. The Fredette family wanted to get involved with Haws and Murphy with a basketball camp.
"We've done basketball camps, but this was a great opportunity to partner with Jimmer and his family," Haws said. "With this great facility, we decided to have basketball instruction two hours a day on the court, a half hour in velocity speed training and a half hour of classroom, where campers broke down film and listened to speakers including Murphy who admonished youth to not cut corners or cheat, to give their best and live with the results and be happy with the effort."
"It's been a big hit," Haws added. "The reaction has been overwhelming."
Haws said Jimmer's father, Al, spoke to the campers and told them how hard his son worked and that it didn't come easy.
"Some are here thinking there is something magical they'll learn," said Haws. "Thing is, it’s the same drills, the same routines and it does take a lot of work to improve your game."
No question having Jimmer was a billboard, a magnet without price. Kids wore more Sacramento Kings jerseys than those of the Utah Jazz.
"We were scheduled to do this camp and when we got involved with Jimmer, it sold out just like that," said Haws. "We could have easily had twice the kids. We cut it off at 600 so we could have 15 for each half court with two counselors.
The drills, the skills, the character chats and challenges? Mixing sweat with pep talks about being honest with effort and aim?
"We've hit on something," Haws said.
As Jimmer handed out camp awards on Friday before talking off for Alaska, his older brother TJ performed his rap music for those gathered at week's end.
"We've been to three camps this year," Allinson said. "This is the best by far."
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that his...
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says Harvey...
- Getting back up off the ground: Utahn...
- Ranking the best draft picks in Utah Jazz...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 112
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 88
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 66
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 48
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says... 36
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 31
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 31