Marc Weaver, Marc Weaver, Deseret News
OGDEN – You now have a shot at owning an eight-bedroom historic mansion that once belonged to famed gun maker John Browning.
Many are familiar with Ogden's Browning Museum, but the Browning home has not been open to the public. The home on 505 27th Street in Ogden was built by Browning in 1900 and is on the National Register of Historic Sites.
He had a large family, so this Ogden Mansion has eight bedrooms and three bathrooms. It’s 6,700 square feet and still has the original fireplaces and main staircase.
After the Brownings, the YWCA used it as a women's shelter, then a law firm bought it for office space. Ten years ago, the Smith family moved in and made some home improvements.
"We replaced the carpets. We tried to keep it as original as possible, but we did replace some of the furnaces to give it central air and heat," said Stephanie Smith. "We have put up new wallpaper, kind of period-type wallpaper, restored some of the bathrooms that they used as offices, we put a kitchen in."
Now, she said, it's someone else's turn. The Smiths put the home up for sale on KSL Classifieds for the price of $350,000
"I would love to see it as a Bed and Breakfast, we don't have many of them in the Ogden area," Smith said. "A spa would be amazing. It could be a bookstore, an art gallery — there are so many things you could do with this house."
For more information on this listing, go to: Browning house listing.
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Duct tape prom attire earns Utah teens $5,000...
- Salt Lake City mayor's spokesman placed on...
- Alleged sexual abuser on the run for 17 years...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 303
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 142
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 46
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 46
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 36