Marc Weaver, Marc Weaver, Deseret News
OGDEN – You now have a shot at owning an eight-bedroom historic mansion that once belonged to famed gun maker John Browning.
Many are familiar with Ogden's Browning Museum, but the Browning home has not been open to the public. The home on 505 27th Street in Ogden was built by Browning in 1900 and is on the National Register of Historic Sites.
He had a large family, so this Ogden Mansion has eight bedrooms and three bathrooms. It’s 6,700 square feet and still has the original fireplaces and main staircase.
After the Brownings, the YWCA used it as a women's shelter, then a law firm bought it for office space. Ten years ago, the Smith family moved in and made some home improvements.
"We replaced the carpets. We tried to keep it as original as possible, but we did replace some of the furnaces to give it central air and heat," said Stephanie Smith. "We have put up new wallpaper, kind of period-type wallpaper, restored some of the bathrooms that they used as offices, we put a kitchen in."
Now, she said, it's someone else's turn. The Smiths put the home up for sale on KSL Classifieds for the price of $350,000
"I would love to see it as a Bed and Breakfast, we don't have many of them in the Ogden area," Smith said. "A spa would be amazing. It could be a bookstore, an art gallery — there are so many things you could do with this house."
For more information on this listing, go to: Browning house listing.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 27
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22