Marc Weaver, Marc Weaver, Deseret News
OGDEN – You now have a shot at owning an eight-bedroom historic mansion that once belonged to famed gun maker John Browning.
Many are familiar with Ogden's Browning Museum, but the Browning home has not been open to the public. The home on 505 27th Street in Ogden was built by Browning in 1900 and is on the National Register of Historic Sites.
He had a large family, so this Ogden Mansion has eight bedrooms and three bathrooms. It’s 6,700 square feet and still has the original fireplaces and main staircase.
After the Brownings, the YWCA used it as a women's shelter, then a law firm bought it for office space. Ten years ago, the Smith family moved in and made some home improvements.
"We replaced the carpets. We tried to keep it as original as possible, but we did replace some of the furnaces to give it central air and heat," said Stephanie Smith. "We have put up new wallpaper, kind of period-type wallpaper, restored some of the bathrooms that they used as offices, we put a kitchen in."
Now, she said, it's someone else's turn. The Smiths put the home up for sale on KSL Classifieds for the price of $350,000
"I would love to see it as a Bed and Breakfast, we don't have many of them in the Ogden area," Smith said. "A spa would be amazing. It could be a bookstore, an art gallery — there are so many things you could do with this house."
For more information on this listing, go to: Browning house listing.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Former Ute, NFL player brings holiday cheer...
- Two arrested in SLC homicide investigation
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- Christmas I Remember Best: 'All this, and...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 94
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 20
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 13
- Regulators, groups eye EPA rule on coal... 11