Marc Weaver, Marc Weaver, Deseret News
OGDEN – You now have a shot at owning an eight-bedroom historic mansion that once belonged to famed gun maker John Browning.
Many are familiar with Ogden's Browning Museum, but the Browning home has not been open to the public. The home on 505 27th Street in Ogden was built by Browning in 1900 and is on the National Register of Historic Sites.
He had a large family, so this Ogden Mansion has eight bedrooms and three bathrooms. It’s 6,700 square feet and still has the original fireplaces and main staircase.
After the Brownings, the YWCA used it as a women's shelter, then a law firm bought it for office space. Ten years ago, the Smith family moved in and made some home improvements.
"We replaced the carpets. We tried to keep it as original as possible, but we did replace some of the furnaces to give it central air and heat," said Stephanie Smith. "We have put up new wallpaper, kind of period-type wallpaper, restored some of the bathrooms that they used as offices, we put a kitchen in."
Now, she said, it's someone else's turn. The Smiths put the home up for sale on KSL Classifieds for the price of $350,000
"I would love to see it as a Bed and Breakfast, we don't have many of them in the Ogden area," Smith said. "A spa would be amazing. It could be a bookstore, an art gallery — there are so many things you could do with this house."
For more information on this listing, go to: Browning house listing.
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- Study: Fathers as likely as mothers to kill...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 98
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 74
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24
- Moab's dilemma: Can recreation coexist... 23
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 14
- Southern Utah left wanting for water 11