Marc Weaver, Marc Weaver, Deseret News
OGDEN – You now have a shot at owning an eight-bedroom historic mansion that once belonged to famed gun maker John Browning.
Many are familiar with Ogden's Browning Museum, but the Browning home has not been open to the public. The home on 505 27th Street in Ogden was built by Browning in 1900 and is on the National Register of Historic Sites.
He had a large family, so this Ogden Mansion has eight bedrooms and three bathrooms. It’s 6,700 square feet and still has the original fireplaces and main staircase.
After the Brownings, the YWCA used it as a women's shelter, then a law firm bought it for office space. Ten years ago, the Smith family moved in and made some home improvements.
"We replaced the carpets. We tried to keep it as original as possible, but we did replace some of the furnaces to give it central air and heat," said Stephanie Smith. "We have put up new wallpaper, kind of period-type wallpaper, restored some of the bathrooms that they used as offices, we put a kitchen in."
Now, she said, it's someone else's turn. The Smiths put the home up for sale on KSL Classifieds for the price of $350,000
"I would love to see it as a Bed and Breakfast, we don't have many of them in the Ogden area," Smith said. "A spa would be amazing. It could be a bookstore, an art gallery — there are so many things you could do with this house."
For more information on this listing, go to: Browning house listing.
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support to...
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- National Guard, DPS weigh possible...
- 3 'scary' medical problems for kids
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 114
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 44
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 32
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 17
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS... 16