MEDFORD, Ore. — Rotary First Harvest has distributed 25,000 pounds of pears, donated by the Medford Pear Orchard, a production project of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, to regional food banks and pantries. The pears were taken from cold storage to make room for this year’s crop surplus.
After hearing that its usual supplier wouldn't be donating pears this year, “we were grateful to start coordination of the Bosc and Anjou pears,” said Tracy Goodrich, First Harvest executive director.
First Harvest, a non-profit function of Southern Oregon Rotary Clubs, focuses on generating, salvaging and distributing fresh, nutritious food that will never make it to the commercial market for various reasons. First Harvest works through the generosity of rotarians and other community partners working together to supplement food boxes. This is especially important for the 33 percent of recipients under 18 years of age.
The Medford Pear Orchard is one of 56 production projects of the LDS Church Welfare System. Pears from the Medford Pear Orchard are processed and canned in church canneries and send throughout the world to provide relief to needy families and humanitarian aid.
The Medford, Ore., orchard provides all the pears for the church welfare system. Most of the work performed on the farm is done by local volunteers, including the harvest of over 1.5 million pounds of pears a year.
Richard Robertson is on the Medford Oregon Stake's public affairs council.
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- LDS World: Western author Wallace Stegner...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Defending the Faith: FairMormon Conference to...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- BYU-Idaho students form brotherhood of...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 300
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- Religious groups react to Boy... 78
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 43
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 31
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 27
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 26
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 23