God keeps his promises to his children. Such fidelity is evidence of his love for us. Likewise, keeping our promises to God is evidence of our love and loyalty to him.
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf recently related a German proverb that says, "Promises are like the full moon. If they are not kept at once, they diminish day by day" (President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "I’m Committed," Ensign, July 2011, p.5).
God’s commandments are not a pick-and-choose buffet. When we keep all of God’s commandments willingly and immediately, we are entitled to all of God’s blessings. That is a promise — a promise I can confidently keep.
William Monahan is a 1980 graduate of BYU Law School. He practices law and teaches law and ethics. A former Phoenix stake president and current high councilor, he is active in interfaith efforts and is a U.S. Air Force veteran.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 68
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 32
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 27
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 22
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 21
- Space and religion: How believers view... 16
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 10