God keeps his promises to his children. Such fidelity is evidence of his love for us. Likewise, keeping our promises to God is evidence of our love and loyalty to him.
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf recently related a German proverb that says, "Promises are like the full moon. If they are not kept at once, they diminish day by day" (President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "I’m Committed," Ensign, July 2011, p.5).
God’s commandments are not a pick-and-choose buffet. When we keep all of God’s commandments willingly and immediately, we are entitled to all of God’s blessings. That is a promise — a promise I can confidently keep.
William Monahan is a 1980 graduate of BYU Law School. He practices law and teaches law and ethics. A former Phoenix stake president and current high councilor, he is active in interfaith efforts and is a U.S. Air Force veteran.
- Sister Frances J. Monson's legacy of love...
- LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of...
- Mormon Parenting: Don’t call gay unions...
- USA Today takes note of LDS sister missionaries
- Defending the Faith: A case for the...
- Live streaming: Frances J. Monson funeral
- 'Hollywood goes to Mormon country': BYU...
- Courage and valor: A bizarre order for a WWII...
- LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of... 74
- Defending the Faith: A case for the... 59
- Mormon Parenting: Don’t call gay... 55
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her... 42
- Secretary of State John Kerry says... 28
- Muslim leaders in U.S. facing... 25
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 23
- Wright Words: Oklahoma tornado provides... 23