Bodies of missing swimmers recovered in southern Utah
MOAB —The bodies of two swimmers missing in separate incidents in Southern Utah were recovered Wednesday.
Teri Elizabeth Jackson, 20, had been missing since July 16. She was last seen swimming in the Colorado River near the Hal Canyon campground area near Moab when friends heard her yelling for help.
They were unable to reach her, and she was swept down the river.
About 3:35 p.m. Wednesday, the Grand County Sheriff's Office was notified of a possible body along the shore about 7 ½ miles from the port of entry into the Colorado River.
The body was identified as Jackson's and taken to a local mortuary.
Earlier Wednesday, the body of 36-year-old Monty Nelson, of Monument Valley, was recovered in a remote area along the San Juan River near Mexican Hat.
Nelson was swimming on July 17 when he slipped on shore, hit his head on the rocks and rolled into the river.
His body wasn't seen again until Tuesday when rafters notified authorities they spotted it downstream from Mexican Hat. Cell connection with the rafters was lost, however, before an exact location could be established, according to the San Juan County Sheriff's Office.
Jackson's body was pulled out of the river by rafters and left in an area where they could find it after rendezvousing with law enforcers. A helicopter from Page, Ariz., was used to help remove the body from the area.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17