Special 'housekeeping' legislative session next Wednesday
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has called a special session of the Legislature for Wednesday to deal with what he called "housekeeping" issues.
Missing from the call issued Friday afternoon is legislation dealing with illegal immigration. Earlier this summer, delegates to the state GOP convention passed a resolution calling for the repeal of HB116, a controversial bill creating a state guest worker program.
And some lawmakers have called for the state to quickly adopt legislation based on an Arizona law recently upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court that punishes companies that hire undocumented workers.
But the governor believes such issues need to be dealt with in a general session rather than a special session expected to last only a few hours, said his chief of staff, Derek Miller.
"We didn't rush into this. We're not going to rush into any changes," Miller said. "If there are improvements that need to be made, it'll be during a general session."
He said the governor received "no pressure for anything that wasn't put on" the agenda.
Among the items the governor is asking lawmakers to consider is a concurrent resolution calling for a balanced budget amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Efforts to pass a similar resolution failed in the 2010 Legislature.
Other issues Herbert wants lawmakers to tackle include fixes to alcoholic beverage control legislation passed last session, as well as to how judges are evaluated and to the makeup of a new group charged with looking at relocating the state prison at Point of the Mountain.
"The items on the call are generally minor housekeeping items, some of which are time-sensitive," Herbert said in a statement.
The special session is set to start at 2 p.m. Wednesday, the same day lawmakers are already scheduled to be at the Capitol for interim meetings.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- Provo ranked 4th most educated city in...
- Love says commenting on Saratoga Springs...
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls officer...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 78
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 68
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Police break silence about... 49
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 24
- New definition of homeless would give... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18