Vai's View: Extra innings with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
They sang "Fly Eagles Fly," but they didn't chant "E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!!" at the end, which I realized isn't on the music sheet but is something fans just added on their own. So, I told Jessop that it would be a major faux pas if they didn't do that in Philly.
They did it perfectly, even pumping their fists just as Eagles fans do. And Andy Reid led them. It was wildly successful. So much so that since '03, many of the local radio stations use a recording of it every year as "bumps" in and out of commercial breaks during the NFL season.
Despite the choir's rather austere, button-down reputation, as a group they were fun and playful with me at their rehearsal. The orchestra even played along as I "acted" out playing a violin and faked leading the music to an empty Tabernacle an hour before the choir arrived. The men's section was full of sports fans, including my cousin Sione Ika, the lone Tongan in the choir. Sione was a section leader in the BYU marching band when I was playing at BYU in the '80s, so it was a sweet reunion.
The piece we edited for my Philadelphia TV station was lighthearted and intended for a sports audience, who otherwise wouldn't be interested in the choir's performance.
I don't know if the publicity I provided helped, but I do know the choir's one-night concert in Philly was performed to a full house, and I've read some of the comments from community leaders and opinion-makers who attended the pre-concert reception and the concert, and they were overwhelmingly positive.
The experience of "performing" with the choir — even in rehearsal — gave me a greater appreciation for their remarkable talent and the power of their music.
Congratulations Mormon Tabernacle Choir on another successful East Coast tour!
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- New features at Ogden Temple reception tent...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 14
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 8
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11... 5