When they approached Brandon Dorman about doing the illustrations, "he was totally committed. He read the story, and was so excited. He wanted to make sure it had her thumbprint in it." For example, they sent pictures of the Randall kitchen to Dorman, and he used that as the backdrop for the cooking scenes.
They also came up with the fun idea of putting a little bird in each scene as something for children to look for.
"Angel knows that the more you can engage their interest, the more you can teach children," says Schoebinger.
And then they decided to add the Randall recipe for angel cookies.
"There's really something that will delight everybody," says Schoebinger. "It's been a privilege to work with Angel. It's one of those things that I'll look back on in 20 years as one of those precious moments to remember. I feel like I've worked with angels, both figuratively and literally."
It's been exciting for the whole family, says Lavon. "To see her be able to do something she's always wanted to do has been gratifying."
It's been wonderful, adds Colleen. "She was basically given the time to focus, to write and think about something she's wanted to do. She has such an imagination, and such a love for books. It's been pleasing to watch her story come to life."
Even more, Colleen has been impressed by her daughter's character. "She has such a love for children, for all people. She still goes to the school to read to the kids, and they still come up and give her hugs. She has touched so many lives."
Angel is able to look at her situation and see blessings.
"I've been given new opportunities. I've felt that when I was typing the part about angels, that I was getting extra help," she says. She has drawn strength from a plaque that was given her that says, "In trying times, keep trying." Another favorite saying is: "When storms come down, dance in the rain."
That's what she wants to do, she says, simply keep dancing. Sometimes it has been hard, "but I've found a lot of comfort in prayer. I just know I can't give up."
The end of Angel's own story is as yet unwritten. But she faces her future with courage and grace. Whatever happens, she knows that in ways that matter her story will have a happy ending.
- LDS missionary surprises mom with homecoming...
- Discovery of chiasmus in Book of Mormon...
- LDS addiction recovery video: David's story...
- Newly announced 'Saturday's Warrior' cast to...
- Overcoming drugs, alcohol, pornography:...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- Here's a crazy idea: Alex Boye and 'The Book...
- ... 62
- Discovery of chiasmus in Book of Mormon... 39
- Obama bristles at anti-Semitism charges... 17
- Compromise could fix Kentucky's wedding... 16
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 11
- LDS addiction recovery video: David's... 11
- Mormon Channel releases gritty videos... 9
- Overcoming drugs, alcohol, pornography:... 6