Book Review: 'The Stone Traveler' is a story of how life could have been in Book of Mormon times
Kathi Oram Peterson weaves a fictional tale of what life might have been like in the Book of Mormon between the time of Samuel the Lamanite's prophesies and the Savior's coming — along with a visitor from the 21st century.
Tag Quincy is from modern-day Idaho Falls, Idaho, and isn’t quite sure who he is or what he wants to be. What he does know is he misses his father and brother and doesn’t want to be a member of a local gang. After being sent to his help his grandfather at the cabin for the summer, Tag meets a trio of men who have an unusual stone and is transported back in time to about 33 A.D.
He meets Sabirah, a warrior and daughter of Samuel the Lamanite, as she searches for her father and brother whom she believes have been captured by King Jacob in the city of Jacobagath.
The story is told from both of their perspectives as Tag is the prophesied “wanderer” many believe have come to help them and as Tag fills in the gaps in his testimony and self-worth.
Kathi Peterson uses several events recorded in the Book of Mormon in her fictional tale of Tag and Sabirah as they witness the destruction associated with the Savior’s resurrection and the blessings of his visit to the Americas, but the story does have an unexpected twist or two.
Peterson’s story brings to life these events and also gives a vivid look into a perspective of what life may have been like for those living in the era of the Gadianton robbers.
Tag, despite his self-doubt, works through his guilt and questions about his father and brother’s disappearance as he learns to look to Jesus Christ for comfort and peace.
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- New friends plan to work together to defend...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 104
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 35
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 34
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 34
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- New friends plan to work together to... 20
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 16