Book Review: 'The Stone Traveler' is a story of how life could have been in Book of Mormon times
Kathi Oram Peterson weaves a fictional tale of what life might have been like in the Book of Mormon between the time of Samuel the Lamanite's prophesies and the Savior's coming — along with a visitor from the 21st century.
Tag Quincy is from modern-day Idaho Falls, Idaho, and isn’t quite sure who he is or what he wants to be. What he does know is he misses his father and brother and doesn’t want to be a member of a local gang. After being sent to his help his grandfather at the cabin for the summer, Tag meets a trio of men who have an unusual stone and is transported back in time to about 33 A.D.
He meets Sabirah, a warrior and daughter of Samuel the Lamanite, as she searches for her father and brother whom she believes have been captured by King Jacob in the city of Jacobagath.
The story is told from both of their perspectives as Tag is the prophesied “wanderer” many believe have come to help them and as Tag fills in the gaps in his testimony and self-worth.
Kathi Peterson uses several events recorded in the Book of Mormon in her fictional tale of Tag and Sabirah as they witness the destruction associated with the Savior’s resurrection and the blessings of his visit to the Americas, but the story does have an unexpected twist or two.
Peterson’s story brings to life these events and also gives a vivid look into a perspective of what life may have been like for those living in the era of the Gadianton robbers.
Tag, despite his self-doubt, works through his guilt and questions about his father and brother’s disappearance as he learns to look to Jesus Christ for comfort and peace.
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood' by...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- 10 things to do with an LDS account
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 63
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 50
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20