OLD ORCHARD BEACH, Maine — After all the games were played in a rainy, cold week of baseball at the USCAA Small College World Series, Southern Virginia University's baseball team was the runner-up in the tournament.
Right fielder, Brandon Alexander, designated hitter Josh Linn and center fielder Andrew Snider received much heralded "All-Tournament" honors after the highest post-season finish in Southern Virginia University baseball history.
The baseball team of young men includes 11 returned missionaries, two more with mission calls and another was waiting to receive his call and assignment.
"Those are the best behaved, cleanest, nicest young men and organization that we have ever been associated with,” said Old Orchard Beach General Manager Jen DeRice.
On the opening day a banquet was held for the teams at Dunegrass Country Club, in Old Orchard Beach, where the tournament was played.
“Our staff was amazed at the gentlemanlike behavior of these young men,” Rebecca Eltzroth, public relations manager, said of the team, adding that the team members had "comments like 'yes, ma’am' and 'no, ma’am,' 'please' and 'thank you' over and over again.”
The entire team, with coaches and some family members, attended sacrament meeting on May 15 in the Saco Ward, Augusta Maine Stake, and heard from the Boston Massachusetts Temple President Robert S. Wood and his wife, Dixie Wood.
“The small Saco Ward building had standing room only, making for a very spiritual meeting,” said Saco Ward Bishop Dan Kenning, “We love it when SVU comes and shares their spirit with us.”
The SVU team, coached by Logan Mann and Jonathan Miles, won their first two games, beating Rochester College 7-4 and Penn State Greater Allegheny 3-2 on May 16. They lost two consecutive games to Briarcliffe College, 11-9 and 6-2 on May 18. All the games were played in weather that was consistently cold and raining.
Ed Hoke is the past editor and publisher of the Kirbyville Banner newspaper in Kirbyville, Texas, a member of the Texas Press Association and was a long-time reporter for the Diamond – Shamrock Sports Network.
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- LDS Church announces new seminary graduation...
- LDS Church announces feature-length...
- Defending the Faith: The very surprising...
- Mormons on social media react to Elder...
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple cart
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but serves...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 107
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but... 39
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use... 39
- LDS Church announces feature-length... 38
- Defending the Faith: The very... 23
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they... 15
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple... 11