MSNBC's World Blog highlights the LDS Church's ability to quickly locate and account for church members in this article, attributing it to "a culture of discipline and emergency preparedness."
Elder Richard G. Hinckley, executive director of the church's Missionary Department, explains how the church used phone trees and the home teaching program to account for 124,000 of the 125,000 members in Japan within a few days of the 9.0-magnitude earthquake on March 11.
- Returned Mormon missionaries in 2014 FBS...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Defending the Faith: The restoration of the...
- LDS apostle Elder Russell M. Nelson turns 90
- Elder Paul K. Sybrowsky dies at age 70
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the world'...
- Defending the Faith: The restoration of... 54
- Bible, Book of Mormon make list of top... 20
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 14
- Faith groups speak out against Obama's... 13
- Ted Cruz was booed off stage for... 13
- Elder Paul K. Sybrowsky dies at age 70 10
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- The biggest band in the world is also... 7