Mormon church's Provo MTC: Exclusive look at the largest missionary training facility in the world
The TALL instruction is for missionaries learning a new language, as they listen to words, phrases and longer readings from a native speaker and record and compare their own pronunciations.
"What really makes or breaks you in learning a language is your personal time," said Elder Russell Homer of Holladay, called to serve in the Russia Rostov Mission.
The Provo MTC continues to grow — both in number of missionaries (the LDS Church forecasts an upcoming demographic upswing in prospective missionaries) and a current 10-year expansion and renovation project.
The current construction focus is a three-story, 40,000-square-foot building to house mail services, clothing assistance, medical and clinical services, a book store, a copy center, a maintenance shop and a receiving center. It will also provide additional office space and residence rooms for 30-plus senior couples.
It is scheduled for completion and dedication in ceremonies later this year that will double as a 50th anniversary commemoration of the old MLI.
Still, the best success stories focus on the missionaries rather than the facilities.
Like Elder Gabriel Ribeiro of Brasilia, Brazil, in the Provo MTC being taught in English — his second language – to learn a third language — Japanese — for his assignment in Japan.
"I write home to my parents about the spiritual feast I have here every day," he said. "I learn so much here. I didn't think I could learn that much — about the gospel, about Japanese. I tell them how grateful I am to be here and to see the church really working."
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- New features at Ogden Temple reception tent...
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is better...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 21
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 18
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 14
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 8
- New features at Ogden Temple reception... 6
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 6