LAS VEGAS, — For those who might fear the Donny & Marie show might be too much flash for their sensitivities or that it might be out of place in the famous Sin City mix, fear not.
The famous brother-sister Osmond duo show has it all — song, dance, comedy, energy, audience repartee, even a few trips down Memory Lane — and it never stalls. From the moment the curtain raises to reveal large silhouettes of the two to the signature closer from their television series, this production is engaging.
It has the oldies but goodies, a surprisingly wonderful operatic aria from Marie, the "Dancing With the Stars" movement and lots of the Osmond charm. Donny even brings along footage from "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat."
The show is pricey, but for Vegas entertainment, it can't be beat. And the audience can relax and enjoy because while it's upbeat and high speed entertainment, it's clean.
"You thought Mormons couldn't drink, huh?" asked Marie as she chugs water.
"Stay away from my sister, Robert," Donny sternly suggested after an enthusiastic member of the audience approached Marie.
It's all in fun and the pace is just right. Just when Donny needs a break from the intense choreography ("These moves are kicking my butt," he says), Marie comes in with a few one-liners and a collection of songs from "Gypsy," "Cabaret" and "Funny Girl." After Marie shares a few signature songs, Donny steps in with drums, lights, brotherly humor and a challenge,
"I did take first at 'Dancing With the Stars,'" he teases. "Who took third?"
"I had to do six spins in high heels, kick my leg and turn while the guy stands and waits," Marie chides.
Both stars are professional, friendly and into it. There's no coasting along just because they've been in show business for nearly 50 years, since Donny was 5 and Marie was 3.
"That's Justin Bieber up there," Donny quips as clips of him singing "Puppy Love" flash on the screen.
The two make fun of each other and themselves while putting on a polished and elegant show. The singing is spot on. The dancing is fine. The Osmonds are looking good.
It's one not to miss.
If you go:
What: Donny & Marie Show
When: nightly at 7:30 p.m.
Where: Flamingo Showroom, Flamingo Casino, Las Vegas Strip
Cost: ticket prices vary from $95-$260
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Lindsey Stirling responds to modesty...
- 6 lies early returned missionaries tell...
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: A Mormon, a Muslim and a...
- Stuart Reid: Despite study results, religion...
- Nothing else they would rather do: Couple has...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon... 118
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's... 69
- Stuart Reid: Despite study results,... 52
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: A Mormon, a Muslim... 34
- Evangelist urges Christians to pray for... 30
- Lindsey Stirling responds to modesty... 23
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 12
- Bobby Jindal and Jeb Bush are both... 7