Lincoln had a consuming sense and conviction that God created this nation for some higher purpose and that the political events of this nation culminating in the mid-1800s had, for some time, been diverging from that destiny. He believed that this political and moral drift from the original intentions of the Founding Fathers had angered the "Living God" who authored its inception and that the Civil War was the Almighty's judgment for the nation's sins.
Of the Founding Fathers, Lincoln said, "I recollect thinking then, boy even though I was, that there must have been something more than common that those men struggled for. I am exceedingly anxious that that thing which they struggled for; that something even more than national independence; that something that held great promise to all the people of the world to all time to come; I am exceedingly anxious that this Union, the Constitution, and the liberties of the people shall be perpetuated in accordance with the original idea for which the struggle was made, and I shall be most happy indeed if I shall be an humble instrument in the hands of the Almighty, and of this, his almost chosen people, for perpetuating the object of that great struggle."
Ron Andersen is manager of field operations in the Welfare Department for the LDS Church and president of the Lincoln Leadership Society.
Lincoln Symposium scheduled March 5
The Abraham Lincoln Sesquicentennial Symposium is scheduled Saturday, March 5, from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Salt Lake City.
The symposium, sponsored by the Lincoln Leadership Society, will feature keynote speaker President Matthew Holland, president of Utah Valley University in Orem, Utah.
Cost for the symposium is $45, which includes lunch if registration is done before March 2. Cost for couples is $80.
The event will be held at the Salt Lake Radisson Hotel, 215 W. South Temple. For more details, visit www.lincolnleadershipsociety.com.
- Responding to Trump, Clinton says he has 'no...
- 1st edition Book of Mormon sells for $52,500...
- Pope prays at Armenia memorial after...
- Pope visits Armenia's closed border with...
- Twila Van Leer: What family history treasures...
- ESPN NBA draft expert Chad Ford is also a...
- Church releases video in conjunction with...
- Picturing history: Historic Kirtland
- Mormon youth leader dies on trek outing... 72
- Defending the Faith: The challenge... 29
- Survey: White evangelicals say US no... 21
- Trump to top evangelicals:... 19
- 7 conservative Christians who are not... 11
- Responding to Trump, Clinton says he... 10
- LDS family stars in new TLC show,... 9
- Family of scholars: Utah family... 9