With the premiere of a satirical Broadway musical called "The Book of Mormon" scheduled for next month and in response to news media requests, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a brief statement Monday afternoon.
"The production may attempt to entertain audiences for an evening, but the Book of Mormon as a volume of scripture will change people's lives forever by bringing them closer to Christ," read the church's statement.
The production was written by "South Park" co-creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone along with Broadcast composer/lyricist Robert Lopez. According to the New York Post, the musical follows two young Mormon missionaries sent to preach the gospel in a dangerous region of Uganda.
It is scheduled to open March 24, following previews that begin Feb. 24.
Stemming from issues in the wake of several seasons of the HBO series "Big Love," the '09 document acknowledges that, like other large faith groups, the LDS Church recognizes that it and its members will receive all sorts of media attention — some depictions accurate, some false or stereotypical, some in bad taste.
The church said it does not as an institution call for boycotts, since boycotts increase media and audience attention. LDS leaders instead encourage members to "conduct themselves with dignity and thoughtfulness" in times of public expression.
"The Publicity Dilemna" also cites several past examples of what it called "extreme misrepresentations in the media" and how they appeal only to narrow audiences and have little adverse affect on the church.
One of the examples mentions a previous LDS-themed production by Parker and Stone.
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles regardless of...
- Defending the Faith: FairMormon Conference to...
- LDS World: Western author Wallace Stegner...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 303
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 142
- Religious groups react to Boy... 79
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 43
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 43
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 31
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 27
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 24