On the Sunday of Bob's baptism, the entire Rapid City Ward rallied around Bob. His brother Jim drove up from Gillette to perform the baptism.
I was in the dressing room with Jim and Bob when my companion, Elder Pray stormed in just before the two men were headed into the font to tell us, "Bob, Jackie just arrived with your daughters, Rachel and Erin, and I took the liberty of seating them in the front row."
Bob burst into tears and embraced Jim. We all huddled and thanked the Lord for His goodness before I followed Elder Pray out to serve as witnesses, while Jim and Bob descended into the font.
Following the baptism, I confirmed Bob with Elder Pray, Bob's brother Jim, President Greenwood, Jack Weyland and our ward mission leader Rick Gough at my side.
Last week, my former companion Daniel Pray tracked me down and called after following my blogs, and we spoke for the first time in 27 years after he was transferred following Bob's baptism. He's the father of three kids, the oldest a freshman at BYU-Idaho, and is the stake clerk in Nevada where he lives. Daniel told me that teaching Bob in those early-morning discussions was a seminal moment in his life and our companionship during that period is partly what bound him to the Church in his adult life. All these years, he wasn't aware of Bob's whereabouts and what had happened to him and his family after his baptism.
In my next installment, I'll share with you what I was privileged to share with my former companion, Daniel Pray, last week. Bob Dull's life is a testament that God does keep His promises and that He honors those who honor Him.
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- 14 surprising, heartwarming videos of LDS...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Passing the torch
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in Salt...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 286
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 104
- Religious groups react to Boy... 59
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 41
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 30
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 20
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces first... 14
- ... 10