On the Sunday of Bob's baptism, the entire Rapid City Ward rallied around Bob. His brother Jim drove up from Gillette to perform the baptism.
I was in the dressing room with Jim and Bob when my companion, Elder Pray stormed in just before the two men were headed into the font to tell us, "Bob, Jackie just arrived with your daughters, Rachel and Erin, and I took the liberty of seating them in the front row."
Bob burst into tears and embraced Jim. We all huddled and thanked the Lord for His goodness before I followed Elder Pray out to serve as witnesses, while Jim and Bob descended into the font.
Following the baptism, I confirmed Bob with Elder Pray, Bob's brother Jim, President Greenwood, Jack Weyland and our ward mission leader Rick Gough at my side.
Last week, my former companion Daniel Pray tracked me down and called after following my blogs, and we spoke for the first time in 27 years after he was transferred following Bob's baptism. He's the father of three kids, the oldest a freshman at BYU-Idaho, and is the stake clerk in Nevada where he lives. Daniel told me that teaching Bob in those early-morning discussions was a seminal moment in his life and our companionship during that period is partly what bound him to the Church in his adult life. All these years, he wasn't aware of Bob's whereabouts and what had happened to him and his family after his baptism.
In my next installment, I'll share with you what I was privileged to share with my former companion, Daniel Pray, last week. Bob Dull's life is a testament that God does keep His promises and that He honors those who honor Him.
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Clark Gilbert named new president of BYU-Idaho
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- LDS Church's official website to evolve over...
- LDS mission president's wife dies
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks friends,...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 125
- Hamblin & Peterson: Bible wars among... 42
- See why this woman's decision not to... 41
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 33
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks... 32
- Defending the Faith: A tribute to... 19
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12
- LDS statement could move Utah... 12