SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake Chamber announced Monday that Bishop H. David Burton, presiding bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, will receive the "Giant In Our City" award in March. Bishop Burton will be the 31st person to receive the award in its 41-year history.
The award is recognized as one of the most prestigious honors in the Utah business community.
"Bishop Burton lives to serve, to uplift and to build," said Lane Beattie, president and CEO of the Salt Lake Chamber. "As a passionate supporter of the arts community he has helped enriched the lives of thousands of Utahns. And as a businessman he has overseen the unprecedented investment in our capital city at the City Creek Center."
In addition to his years of service in the LDS Church hierarchy, Bishop Burton has also served as assistant budget officer. Prior to his calling, he worked for Kennecott Copper Corporation and the Utah State Tax Commission.
The Giant In Our City award will be officially presented to Bishop Burton March 16, 2011, at the Grand America Hotel in Salt Lake.
"The Giant In Our City award is the highest honor the business community can bestow," said Scott Parson, chairman of the Salt Lake Chamber Board of Governors. "Bishop Burton has built and strengthened our community in many ways and we are very excited to honor him with this distinction."
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its history,...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 108
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 64
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- Space and religion: How believers view... 20
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 13
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 9
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 8
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the... 8