SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake Chamber announced Monday that Bishop H. David Burton, presiding bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, will receive the "Giant In Our City" award in March. Bishop Burton will be the 31st person to receive the award in its 41-year history.
The award is recognized as one of the most prestigious honors in the Utah business community.
"Bishop Burton lives to serve, to uplift and to build," said Lane Beattie, president and CEO of the Salt Lake Chamber. "As a passionate supporter of the arts community he has helped enriched the lives of thousands of Utahns. And as a businessman he has overseen the unprecedented investment in our capital city at the City Creek Center."
In addition to his years of service in the LDS Church hierarchy, Bishop Burton has also served as assistant budget officer. Prior to his calling, he worked for Kennecott Copper Corporation and the Utah State Tax Commission.
The Giant In Our City award will be officially presented to Bishop Burton March 16, 2011, at the Grand America Hotel in Salt Lake.
"The Giant In Our City award is the highest honor the business community can bestow," said Scott Parson, chairman of the Salt Lake Chamber Board of Governors. "Bishop Burton has built and strengthened our community in many ways and we are very excited to honor him with this distinction."
- UTubers: Returned LDS missionary part of...
- LDS missionaries safe in Taiwan after earthquake
- Mormon Mentions: Adam Levine praises The...
- Mormon Taylor Swift look-alike draws national...
- After 3rd round of Hollywood Week on...
- 'Rich and fascinating': New online database...
- Music and the Spoken Word: Choosing to act
- 'A unique insight': Jermaine Sullivan shares...
- Defending the Faith: Why the question... 35
- Obama at prayer breakfast: 'Jesus is a... 25
- Obama's take on 3 key debates about... 13
- Bernie Sanders disappoints some... 12
- 'A unique insight': Jermaine Sullivan... 7
- New Harmony: Reading the pope's words... 6
- Maintaining faith during LDS Church... 5
- Panthers or Broncos? God does not care 5