Friday Minute: Friday Minute: My New Year's resolution is to be steadfast and immovable
Christ is our ultimate exemplar: "Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am" (3 Nephi 27:27). Though each of us falls short in our emulation of the Son of God, like the standard and the standard bearer, we also should be steadfast and immovable.
By following the Savior and the holy prophets, we gain the quiet confidence of the tortoise and learn to wink at the world's braggart-hares. Putting one foot in front of the other, we progress toward the only finish line that matters.
We may stray from healthy eating during the holidays, but the abundance of empty calories won't sabotage the most satisfying resolution ever devised: steady feasting on the word of God, followed by a regular, well-paced walk in the footsteps of the Master.
William Monahan is a 1980 graduate of BYU Law School. He practices law in Gilbert, Ariz. A former Phoenix stake president, he serves on the high council for the Queen Creek Chandler Heights Stake. He is active in Arizona Interfaith and a U.S. Air Force veteran. He is an adjunct professor of business law and ethics at Chandler-Gilbert Community College. He and his wife are the proud parents of seven children and 13 grandchildren.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Tabernacle hosts annual LDS Latino Christmas...
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 25
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 24
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 20
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 16
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 14