"Solomon [Chamberlain] was a spiritual man and had spent many hours in prayer, seeking for the remission of his sins and pleading with Heavenly Father to lead him to the truth. Sometime around 1816, Solomon was promised in a vision that he would live to see the day when the Church of Christ would be organized after the apostolic order was established once again on the earth.
"Years later Solomon was traveling by boat toward Canada when his vessel stopped in the small town of Palmyra, New York. There he felt a compelling force urging him to disembark. Not knowing why he was there, he began speaking with the townspeople. It wasn't long before he heard talk of a 'gold Bible.' He said those two words sent 'a power like electricity [that] went from the top of my head to the end of my toes.
'"His inquiries led him to the Smith home, where he spoke with those present about the wonderful news of the restored gospel. After spending two days there and receiving a testimony of the truth, Solomon resumed his journey to Canada, taking with him 64 newly printed, unbound pages of the Book of Mormon. Everywhere he went, he taught the people, 'both high and low, rich and poor, ... to prepare for the great work of God that was now about to come forth' ("A Short Sketch of the Life of Solomon Chamberlain," typescript, Church History Library)."
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "A Great Work of God," Ensign, Apr. 2010, 4
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Utah woman writes new verse for LDS Cultural...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with free...
- Thousands gather for LDS Women's Meeting
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 17
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 14
- 5 things to remember when you think God... 10
- Here's how you and your spouse can... 3
- Jerry Earl Johnston: A celebrated... 3
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 3
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 3