NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Mormons in Connecticut were thrilled with the announcement at last weekend's General Conference that the church plans to build a temple in the Hartford area.
It will be the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' first temple in Connecticut, home to almost 15,000 Mormons. There are 32 meeting houses, or churches, in the state, which do not have the sacredness of temples.
"We are just thrilled; we are excited," said Wayne Taylor, president of the Hartford-area stake. A stake is a group of congregations.
"The temple is kind of a very special place in our religion because we consider the temple the house of the Lord, and it's very sacred, it's a privilege to go there," Taylor said.
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- LDS apostle Elder Russell M. Nelson turns 90
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith adds...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 21
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 15
- Ted Cruz was booed off stage for... 14
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith... 11
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 11
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- The biggest band in the world is also... 7
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU... 5