NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Mormons in Connecticut were thrilled with the announcement at last weekend's General Conference that the church plans to build a temple in the Hartford area.
It will be the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' first temple in Connecticut, home to almost 15,000 Mormons. There are 32 meeting houses, or churches, in the state, which do not have the sacredness of temples.
"We are just thrilled; we are excited," said Wayne Taylor, president of the Hartford-area stake. A stake is a group of congregations.
"The temple is kind of a very special place in our religion because we consider the temple the house of the Lord, and it's very sacred, it's a privilege to go there," Taylor said.
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Utah woman writes new verse for LDS Cultural...
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- Thousands gather for LDS Women's Meeting
- LDS general conference marks 90th, 65th...
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with free...
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 17
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 13
- 5 things to remember when you think God... 10
- Here's how you and your spouse can... 3
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 3
- Watch: September 2014 General Women's... 2
- Jerry Earl Johnston: A celebrated... 2