COPENHAGEN, Denmark — Members of the Copenhagen Stake in Denmark recently celebrated 160 years of the church in Denmark.
"Danes like to celebrate and birthday parties are taken seriously," said Andreas Vestboe, the stakes' activities chairman who organized activites that took place June 12 and 13. "We thought we would combine historic elements with a big birthday party."
As entrance "tickets" to the festivities, people brought items for hygiene kits that were shipped to LDS Philanthropies.
Apostle Erastus Snow arrived in Copenhagen, June 14, 1850. In the October 1849 General Conference, Snow had been appointed to go to Scandinavia and open a mission. He wrote, "The Spirit of the Lord seemed to lead me to this city to commence my labors. From my first appointment, my mind rested upon Copenhagen as the best place in all Scandinavia to commence the work. Everything since strengthened my convictions."
About 400 church members and guests gathered to celebrate the development of the church in Denmark, the translation of the Book of Mormon into Danish, the 2004 dedication of the Denmark Copenhagen Temple and the introduction of EFY in Scandinavia.
People enjoyed a fun day of festivities, a carnival, lectures on church history and a play that evening. The day ended with the unveiling of a 10-foot-long cake make by 14 sisters in the stake.
Area Authority Ingvar Olsson and Elder Erich Kopischke, President of the Europe Area, spoke in a Sunday evening fireside about applying the same missionary principles used in 1850, asking, "In another 160 years from now, what will the future saints say about missionary efforts in 2010?"
Some 170 members of the stake came together to serve in various assignments to make the activities a complete success.
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- 'Studio C' cast talks to LDS teens about...
- Super Bowl quarterback Tom Brady relies on...
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- Clark Gilbert named new president of BYU-Idaho
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- LDS Church's official website to evolve over...
- See why this Christian mother is giving up...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 186
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 36
- LDS statement could move Utah... 29
- See why this Christian mother is giving... 15
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 13
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12
- Republican White House maybes court... 8
- Clark Gilbert named new president of... 8