Fox found a photograph of a trip participant — but the man's initials on his fireman's helmet didn't match. He spoke with Fisher and recommended trying This Is the Place Heritage Park.
At the park is a replica of Salt Lake City's historic Ottinger Hall, built with funds donated by the late Larry H. Miller. Fox thought that perhaps there might be more archives and photographs there.
"Odds aren't good that I'm going to find it there," Fisher remembered thinking.
On May 28, Fisher walked into the hall. He was disappointed to learn that there were no archives — only the photographs and collections on the walls and in display cases. He walked up the stairs to the second floor, and in the corner he was surprised to find an original copy of the trip's group photograph.
"When I looked closer, there was a long slim piece of cardstock along the bottom of the matting. It had the name of every fireman with a number next to it. I realized that this is a key," Fisher said. Little white numbers had been painted on each person in the photograph. Towards the back of the line was the scoundrel himself, number 91: Andrew Jackson Fisher.
Fisher looked at Andrew's face and said "hello." His three-decades search was over.
"It was a complete shock, because I went up there with no expectations at all that this would be successful," Fisher said. "The stunner was that I would find a marked photograph of my great-grandfather from New York on a wall in Salt Lake City where I live. Right under my nose all these years. Cold case solved."
- LDS leaders announce new teaching manual,...
- Would BYU honor code be better with an...
- LDS leader speaks to young adults about...
- Elder and Sister Renlund speak during BYU...
- Why pray? Different faiths are united over...
- Music and the Spoken Word: The time to prepare
- Sister Linda K. Burton speaks at BYU Women's...
- One year ago, founding member of SEAL Team...
- Would BYU honor code be better with an... 93
- ... 41
- LDS leader speaks to young adults about... 35
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 32
- LDS leaders announce new teaching... 26
- Why pray? Different faiths are united... 14
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to... 12
- The positive role religion plays in... 8