The LDS Church issued a statement Monday that is repeated below in its entirety. The original presentation of the statement is posted on LDS.org/Newsroom.
reports following the filing of its final report on donations to the
ProtectMarriage.com coalition.On Friday, 30 January, the Church filed
the final report of its contributions (all of which were non-monetary) to the
ProtectMarriage.com coalition. The report, submitted in advance of the 31
January deadline, details in-kind donations totaling $189,903.58.
The value of the Church's in-kind
(non-monetary) contribution is less than one half of one percent of the total
funds (approximately $40 million) raised for the "Yes on 8" campaign. The Church
did not make any cash contribution.
Because media coverage about this filing
ran without a comment from the Church, the following statements of fact from the
Church add context to this story and should help correct the record:
"The documents show the amount spent by the Mormon Church is greater than
what was initially stated."
Fact: The Church, like other
organizations on both sides of the ballot issue, was required to publicly file
these donations by the 31 January deadline. The Church has been filing required
contribution reports throughout the campaign. Those earlier donations "initially
stated" were filed for specific time periods prior to this last reporting
period, as required by law. Other groups are also filing their final
contribution reports to meet the same deadline.
San Francisco Chronicle
: "Mormon church officials, facing an ongoing investigation
by the state Fair Political Practices Commission, Friday reported nearly
$190,000 in previously unlisted assistance to the successful campaign for Prop.
8, which banned same-sex marriage in California."Sacramento Bee :
"The disclosure comes amid an investigation by the state's campaign watchdog
agency into whether the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints violated
state laws by not fully disclosing its involvement during the campaign."Fact: This filing is in no way
prompted by an investigation by the California Fair Political Practices
Commission. Many organizations are filing this week to meet the deadline
required by law. We believe we have complied with California law.
KFMB 760 AM (San
Diego) :"Mormon Church Misstated How Much It
Spent in Prop 8 Fight." "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Ask Angela: I suffered from depression,...
- Can the return of 'Cosmos' extend the scope...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Church History Symposium examines Mormonism's...
- LDS World: Receiving comfort in our afflictions
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 89
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 63
- When Satan steals your motherhood 46
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 24
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after... 15
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from... 13