SALT LAKE CITY
— Two temple
dedications are among the many highlights for The Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints during 2009. In March,
President Thomas S. Monson, world leader of the 13.5
million-member church, dedicated the Draper
Utah Temple. In August he dedicated the Oquirrh
Mountain Utah Temple, the 130th temple of the church
and the 13th temple in Utah. Prior to the dedications,
nearly 1.3 million people toured the temples during the open
house period. President Monson
also announced the construction of five
new temples during the 179th Semiannual General
Conference in October. The locations are Brigham City, Utah;
Concepción, Chile; Fortaleza, Brazil; Fort Lauderdale,
Florida; and Sapporo, Japan.
In announcing the
five new temples, President Monson said, "We desire that as
many members as possible have the opportunity to attend the
temple without having to travel inordinate distances." He
also said that 83 percent of church members worldwide live
within 200 miles of a temple and that that percentage would
increase as the church continues to construct new temples.
highlights during 2009 included the following:
New Apostle Called
Neil L. Andersen was called in April to fill the
vacancy in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles created when
Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin passed away in December 2008.
Church History library dedicated
A permanent and
safe archive for historical documents and other church
records was completed after 15 years of planning and four
years of construction. The new Church
History Library was dedicated by President Monson in
June. This state-of-the-art building was designed and
constructed to meet the high standards for certification as
a "green" building through the Leadership in Energy and
Environmental Design (LEED) rating system, putting it on
track to receive the prestigious Silver designation. But one
of the most notable aspects of the new library is that it is
designed for public accessibility.
Spanish Bible published
- UTubers: Returned LDS missionary part of...
- LDS missionaries safe in Taiwan after earthquake
- Mormon Mentions: Adam Levine praises The...
- Mormon Taylor Swift look-alike draws national...
- After 3rd round of Hollywood Week on...
- 'Rich and fascinating': New online database...
- Music and the Spoken Word: Choosing to act
- Maintaining faith during LDS Church meeting...
- Defending the Faith: Why the question... 35
- Obama at prayer breakfast: 'Jesus is a... 25
- Obama's take on 3 key debates about... 13
- Bernie Sanders disappoints some... 12
- 'A unique insight': Jermaine Sullivan... 7
- New Harmony: Reading the pope's words... 6
- Maintaining faith during LDS Church... 5
- Panthers or Broncos? God does not care 5