BYU sophomore quarterback Jake Heaps has been named to the 2011 Davey O'Brien Quarterback Award Watch list.
Heaps is one of 38 candidates, along with Stanford's Andrew Luck, Boise State's Kellen Moore, and 2009 O’Brien finalist Case Keenum of Houston.
Heaps is one of eight sophomores on the O'Brien list, along with Central Florida's Jeff Godfrey. BYU and UCF meet in Provo on Sept. 23.
Former BYU quarterbacks Jim McMahon (1981), Steve Young (1983) and Ty Detmer (1990 and 1991) have won the O'Brien Award.
Meanwhile, BYU senior running back JJ Di Luigi has been named a preseason candidate for the Doak Walker Award. He is one of 51 on the watch list for the award, emblematic of the nation's top running back. Former Cougar Luke Staley won the award in 2001.
In addition to Heaps and Di Luigi, four other Cougars have been included on preseason watch lists: offensive linemen Matt Reynolds (Outland, Lombardi), Terence Brown (Rimington), and Braden Hansen (Oultand); and linebacker Jameson Frazier (Lott).
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- BYU closes season with painful loss in Miami...
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all brawl...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off... 21