BYU sophomore quarterback Jake Heaps has been named to the 2011 Davey O'Brien Quarterback Award Watch list.
Heaps is one of 38 candidates, along with Stanford's Andrew Luck, Boise State's Kellen Moore, and 2009 O’Brien finalist Case Keenum of Houston.
Heaps is one of eight sophomores on the O'Brien list, along with Central Florida's Jeff Godfrey. BYU and UCF meet in Provo on Sept. 23.
Former BYU quarterbacks Jim McMahon (1981), Steve Young (1983) and Ty Detmer (1990 and 1991) have won the O'Brien Award.
Meanwhile, BYU senior running back JJ Di Luigi has been named a preseason candidate for the Doak Walker Award. He is one of 51 on the watch list for the award, emblematic of the nation's top running back. Former Cougar Luke Staley won the award in 2001.
In addition to Heaps and Di Luigi, four other Cougars have been included on preseason watch lists: offensive linemen Matt Reynolds (Outland, Lombardi), Terence Brown (Rimington), and Braden Hansen (Oultand); and linebacker Jameson Frazier (Lott).
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- Morning links: Projecting the 2016 football...
- College football countdown No. 45: Harvey Unga
- BYU quarterback Taysom Hill explains why he's...
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12...
- Young cancer patient gives former Cougar Kyle...
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup: Baylor,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: Projecting the 2016... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 62
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 58
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 45