BYU sophomore quarterback Jake Heaps has been named to the 2011 Davey O'Brien Quarterback Award Watch list.
Heaps is one of 38 candidates, along with Stanford's Andrew Luck, Boise State's Kellen Moore, and 2009 O’Brien finalist Case Keenum of Houston.
Heaps is one of eight sophomores on the O'Brien list, along with Central Florida's Jeff Godfrey. BYU and UCF meet in Provo on Sept. 23.
Former BYU quarterbacks Jim McMahon (1981), Steve Young (1983) and Ty Detmer (1990 and 1991) have won the O'Brien Award.
Meanwhile, BYU senior running back JJ Di Luigi has been named a preseason candidate for the Doak Walker Award. He is one of 51 on the watch list for the award, emblematic of the nation's top running back. Former Cougar Luke Staley won the award in 2001.
In addition to Heaps and Di Luigi, four other Cougars have been included on preseason watch lists: offensive linemen Matt Reynolds (Outland, Lombardi), Terence Brown (Rimington), and Braden Hansen (Oultand); and linebacker Jameson Frazier (Lott).
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Looking ahead, behind at the Cougars' and...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 48
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 45
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Young players Fred Warner, Sione... 15
- BYU football: Jaren Hall, the son of... 14