“Talk about a way for a girlfriend to melt a mother’s heart,” Kathy Quinn, the girl’s mother, wrote to Brown. “I know it meant the world to him (the boyfriend) too.”
In 1989 Brown received a letter from Deseret Book’s Virginia B. Cannon in connection with the Primary “Children’s Songbook.” She was seeking background information on Brown’s song for a children’s church music history project, but commented on the impact of the melody worldwide.
“What an immeasurable contribution for good you have personally made in the lives of the children,” Cannon wrote.
These days Brown and his wife, Christine, work Friday evenings in the Dallas Texas Temple and enjoy spending time with their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. He credits the Lord and his dear mother, who encouraged his early musical pursuits, for “I Hope They Call Me on a Mission.”
“My professional training is in music composition, but none of the performances of my solo, chamber or orchestral works has brought me the satisfaction and pleasure that this little song has,” Brown said.
Of special interest to Brown are stories of how his song has been received or how it has affected the lives of people for good. Anyone interested in sharing their story with him can write “I Hope They Call Me on a Mission” in the subject line and email it to Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Watch a video tribute to Sister Frances B....
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- A firsthand perspective: Reflecting on the...
- Wright Words: An open letter from a dad to...
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Members recall Sister Monson's quiet devotion
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 65
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 63
- Wright Words: An open letter from a dad... 46
- New Harmony: The mainstreaming of... 45
- Elder Oaks promotes strengthening the... 26
- Utahn, castaway Dawn Meehan reflects on... 15
- Hundreds watch as Angel Moroni statue... 15
- Community of Christ recommends... 14