Newly independent BYU held its first-ever national media day Tuesday. A few national news media outlets came to Provo to report on the proceedings.
ESPN.com’s Andrea Adelson runs downs some news and notes from media day here.
CBSSport.com’s Brett McMurphy weighs in on independence here.
“By being on national television virtually every week, BYU could quickly become Notre Dame West or even a much smaller version of the New York Yankees – well, if the Yankees had an honor code,” McMurphy writes.
McMurphy also writes extensively about BYU’s honor code, noting that BYU and Penn State are the only teams to win a national championship and never have a major violation in football.
“Because of the school’s Honor Code, the Cougars have a much smaller pool of players to recruit than nearly every other Football Bowl Subdivision program. However, BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall actually uses the Honor Code to his advantage,” McMurphy writes.
“It’s the greatest strength I have to recruit to and coach to,” Mendenhall said. “They aren’t rules or restrictions – they are opportunities to rise to.”
McMurphy also refutes a report that BYU was approached by the Big East Conference, gauging the Cougars’ interest in joining that league.
“There was only one problem – it wasn’t true,” McMurphy writes. “‘We’ve never been approached or talked with the Big East about membership in their league,’ BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe told CBSSports.com. ‘We never had an offer from the Big East.’”
Meanwhile, tonight ESPN will air The ESPYs, and national player of the year Jimmer Fredette is up for yet another award: Best male college athlete. Fredette’s competition? Former UConn guard Kemba Walker and former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 105
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 19