Newly independent BYU held its first-ever national media day Tuesday. A few national news media outlets came to Provo to report on the proceedings.
ESPN.com’s Andrea Adelson runs downs some news and notes from media day here.
CBSSport.com’s Brett McMurphy weighs in on independence here.
“By being on national television virtually every week, BYU could quickly become Notre Dame West or even a much smaller version of the New York Yankees – well, if the Yankees had an honor code,” McMurphy writes.
McMurphy also writes extensively about BYU’s honor code, noting that BYU and Penn State are the only teams to win a national championship and never have a major violation in football.
“Because of the school’s Honor Code, the Cougars have a much smaller pool of players to recruit than nearly every other Football Bowl Subdivision program. However, BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall actually uses the Honor Code to his advantage,” McMurphy writes.
“It’s the greatest strength I have to recruit to and coach to,” Mendenhall said. “They aren’t rules or restrictions – they are opportunities to rise to.”
McMurphy also refutes a report that BYU was approached by the Big East Conference, gauging the Cougars’ interest in joining that league.
“There was only one problem – it wasn’t true,” McMurphy writes. “‘We’ve never been approached or talked with the Big East about membership in their league,’ BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe told CBSSports.com. ‘We never had an offer from the Big East.’”
Meanwhile, tonight ESPN will air The ESPYs, and national player of the year Jimmer Fredette is up for yet another award: Best male college athlete. Fredette’s competition? Former UConn guard Kemba Walker and former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule includes...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 111
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 71
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 52
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45