Newly independent BYU held its first-ever national media day Tuesday. A few national news media outlets came to Provo to report on the proceedings.
ESPN.com’s Andrea Adelson runs downs some news and notes from media day here.
CBSSport.com’s Brett McMurphy weighs in on independence here.
“By being on national television virtually every week, BYU could quickly become Notre Dame West or even a much smaller version of the New York Yankees – well, if the Yankees had an honor code,” McMurphy writes.
McMurphy also writes extensively about BYU’s honor code, noting that BYU and Penn State are the only teams to win a national championship and never have a major violation in football.
“Because of the school’s Honor Code, the Cougars have a much smaller pool of players to recruit than nearly every other Football Bowl Subdivision program. However, BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall actually uses the Honor Code to his advantage,” McMurphy writes.
“It’s the greatest strength I have to recruit to and coach to,” Mendenhall said. “They aren’t rules or restrictions – they are opportunities to rise to.”
McMurphy also refutes a report that BYU was approached by the Big East Conference, gauging the Cougars’ interest in joining that league.
“There was only one problem – it wasn’t true,” McMurphy writes. “‘We’ve never been approached or talked with the Big East about membership in their league,’ BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe told CBSSports.com. ‘We never had an offer from the Big East.’”
Meanwhile, tonight ESPN will air The ESPYs, and national player of the year Jimmer Fredette is up for yet another award: Best male college athlete. Fredette’s competition? Former UConn guard Kemba Walker and former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 57
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37