Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — Beginning Wednesday, motorists on southbound I-15 will see a different lane configuration when traveling though American Fork.
The four existing southbound lanes will be split into two sections between the Main Street and 500 East interchanges in American Fork. The lanes will then rejoin as motorists approach the Pleasant Grove interchange.
The lane reconfiguration is expected to remain in effect for about three months, allowing crews to pave new lanes and conduct bridge work without having to close the section of the freeway.
"What this does is it allows us to keep four lanes of traffic open at all times," said Scott Thompson, spokesman for the Utah Department of Transportation. "We don't have to shut down any lanes to put down the new pavement."
Concrete barriers will separate the traffic, making it possible for crews to safely work while the freeway remains open, Thompson said.
Drivers who want to exit at either American Fork interchange will have to be in the right two lanes before the freeway split.
A split for northbound lanes in American Fork is set for early August. Later this year, a similar configuration will be in place in Orem.
The work is being done as part of UDOT's I-15 CORE project, a $1.7 billion makeover of the freeway in Utah County.
The state-funded project, which is nearing its midway point, calls for reconstruction of 24 miles of I-15 between Lehi and Spanish Fork to meet transportation demands for the next 20 years.
Contributing: Jared Page
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Earthquake in eastern Nevada felt in St....
- Students wear green to honor 2 Hillcrest...
- New details in court reveal alleged shooter...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Despite rain, Utahns still have plenty of...
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Koch brothers group launches Utah chapter 42
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 28
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15