Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — Beginning Wednesday, motorists on southbound I-15 will see a different lane configuration when traveling though American Fork.
The four existing southbound lanes will be split into two sections between the Main Street and 500 East interchanges in American Fork. The lanes will then rejoin as motorists approach the Pleasant Grove interchange.
The lane reconfiguration is expected to remain in effect for about three months, allowing crews to pave new lanes and conduct bridge work without having to close the section of the freeway.
"What this does is it allows us to keep four lanes of traffic open at all times," said Scott Thompson, spokesman for the Utah Department of Transportation. "We don't have to shut down any lanes to put down the new pavement."
Concrete barriers will separate the traffic, making it possible for crews to safely work while the freeway remains open, Thompson said.
Drivers who want to exit at either American Fork interchange will have to be in the right two lanes before the freeway split.
A split for northbound lanes in American Fork is set for early August. Later this year, a similar configuration will be in place in Orem.
The work is being done as part of UDOT's I-15 CORE project, a $1.7 billion makeover of the freeway in Utah County.
The state-funded project, which is nearing its midway point, calls for reconstruction of 24 miles of I-15 between Lehi and Spanish Fork to meet transportation demands for the next 20 years.
Contributing: Jared Page
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River... 6
- D.A. declines to file charges against... 5