Blue roundup: BYU QB recruit Tanner Mangum's stock rising
PROVO -- Tanner Mangum, a high school quarterback from Eagle, Idaho, who has committed to play at BYU, performed well over the weekend at a Nike football camp in Beaverton, Ore.
His strong performance is reported in an article titled "Tanner Mangum rises up" by Jeremy Crabtree on ESPN.com. At one point, Mangum found himself throwing a pass to NFL Hall of Famer Jerry Rice.
"It happened in the blink of an eye," Mangum told ESPN.com. "I was just going back to get another receiver, and then Jerry Rice cuts to the front of the line. He says, 'Hey, I'm going to run an 18-yard comeback.' I got a little nervous because I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of all these people."
Crabtree reports that Mangum "delivered a strike."
"That's a tough throw, and I didn't want to overthrow the greatest of all time," Mangum told Crabtree. "But luckily, he ran a great route and made a great catch. I tried to put it a little on the outside so he can go get it, and he made me look really good."
In other BYU news, this blogger predicts current BYU quarterback Jake Heaps will take the Cougars to a BCS bowl.
Another blogger looks at how BYU, Nebraska and Boise State "reshape college football."
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 64
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 16
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8