PROVO -- Tanner Mangum, a high school quarterback from Eagle, Idaho, who has committed to play at BYU, performed well over the weekend at a Nike football camp in Beaverton, Ore.
His strong performance is reported in an article titled "Tanner Mangum rises up" by Jeremy Crabtree on ESPN.com. At one point, Mangum found himself throwing a pass to NFL Hall of Famer Jerry Rice.
"It happened in the blink of an eye," Mangum told ESPN.com. "I was just going back to get another receiver, and then Jerry Rice cuts to the front of the line. He says, 'Hey, I'm going to run an 18-yard comeback.' I got a little nervous because I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of all these people."
Crabtree reports that Mangum "delivered a strike."
"That's a tough throw, and I didn't want to overthrow the greatest of all time," Mangum told Crabtree. "But luckily, he ran a great route and made a great catch. I tried to put it a little on the outside so he can go get it, and he made me look really good."
In other BYU news, this blogger predicts current BYU quarterback Jake Heaps will take the Cougars to a BCS bowl.
Another blogger looks at how BYU, Nebraska and Boise State "reshape college football."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 90
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 76
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 50
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 35