Blue roundup: BYU QB recruit Tanner Mangum's stock rising
PROVO -- Tanner Mangum, a high school quarterback from Eagle, Idaho, who has committed to play at BYU, performed well over the weekend at a Nike football camp in Beaverton, Ore.
His strong performance is reported in an article titled "Tanner Mangum rises up" by Jeremy Crabtree on ESPN.com. At one point, Mangum found himself throwing a pass to NFL Hall of Famer Jerry Rice.
"It happened in the blink of an eye," Mangum told ESPN.com. "I was just going back to get another receiver, and then Jerry Rice cuts to the front of the line. He says, 'Hey, I'm going to run an 18-yard comeback.' I got a little nervous because I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of all these people."
Crabtree reports that Mangum "delivered a strike."
"That's a tough throw, and I didn't want to overthrow the greatest of all time," Mangum told Crabtree. "But luckily, he ran a great route and made a great catch. I tried to put it a little on the outside so he can go get it, and he made me look really good."
In other BYU news, this blogger predicts current BYU quarterback Jake Heaps will take the Cougars to a BCS bowl.
Another blogger looks at how BYU, Nebraska and Boise State "reshape college football."
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Lindros' wait over as he headlines Hockey...
- Pat Summitt, winningest coach in D1 history,...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 66
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22