Blue roundup: BYU QB recruit Tanner Mangum's stock rising
PROVO -- Tanner Mangum, a high school quarterback from Eagle, Idaho, who has committed to play at BYU, performed well over the weekend at a Nike football camp in Beaverton, Ore.
His strong performance is reported in an article titled "Tanner Mangum rises up" by Jeremy Crabtree on ESPN.com. At one point, Mangum found himself throwing a pass to NFL Hall of Famer Jerry Rice.
"It happened in the blink of an eye," Mangum told ESPN.com. "I was just going back to get another receiver, and then Jerry Rice cuts to the front of the line. He says, 'Hey, I'm going to run an 18-yard comeback.' I got a little nervous because I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of all these people."
Crabtree reports that Mangum "delivered a strike."
"That's a tough throw, and I didn't want to overthrow the greatest of all time," Mangum told Crabtree. "But luckily, he ran a great route and made a great catch. I tried to put it a little on the outside so he can go get it, and he made me look really good."
In other BYU news, this blogger predicts current BYU quarterback Jake Heaps will take the Cougars to a BCS bowl.
Another blogger looks at how BYU, Nebraska and Boise State "reshape college football."
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 74
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 60
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52