Ravell Call, Deseret News
CENTERVILLE — A pair of conjoined robins that were discovered in Centerville are now separated. But it turns out that the fledgling birds were not born that way — instead, they "grew" together.
When Priscilla Todd's son spotted the hapless pair Wednesday evening, she took them in, hoping a veterinarian would step in and help them.
The bird-siblings had been flapping around helplessly on the ground. When the stronger, bigger bird tried to fly, it would drag the other along with it, risking injury to both.
Dr. Douglas Folland of Clearfield did step in. He surgically separated the birds Friday, free of charge.
But he told Todd it was a small plastic thread, not a birth defect that was the culprit.
The robins originated in separate eggs. Somehow, the thread got lodged between them after they had hatched, and their skin and feathers grew over it, attaching them permanently.
Todd, who is an experienced bird rescuer, says the prognosis for the stronger bird is excellent.
It will be released to the wild after a little rest and recovery time at the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in Ogden.
However, the smaller bird had to undergo a partial wing amputation and is in critical condition, Todd said. If it survives, the rehabilitation center has offered to keep it as a mascot.
Todd had said that she had never seen conjoined birds before. Now she knows why.
— Kelly Just,
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- BYU's first physics grad earns posthumous Grammy
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Charges: Man murdered woman who had been...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 35
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 28
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 12