'The Closer' starts final season and 'Rizzoli & Isles' is back for 2nd season on TNT
Two crime dramas with women in the lead roles will start the summer season on TNT on Monday, July 11.
The 10-episode seventh and final season of "The Closer" starring Kyra Sedgwick as Brenda Lee Johnson opens with her team investigating the death of an up-and-coming rap star, his brother/manager and several others who were shot at their home.
With a new chief of police and a reorganization of the Los Angeles Police Department set to be announced, Brenda is investigated by internal affairs for using questionable tactics during an investigation in the wake of a lawsuit against the city. It's only the first episode, and Brenda is already reaching for the chocolate in her desk drawer.
Fans of "The Closer" are in for more of the crime-solving drama that the show is known for as Brenda and her team work to solve homicides that fall into the major crimes division. As with any crime drama, there is some violence, and some images of deceased victims might be disturbing to younger viewers
After "The Closer," the second season of "Rizzoli & Isles" premieres at 9 p.m. When viewers last saw Boston police detective Jane Rizzoli (Angie Harmon), she was being held at gunpoint and ended up shooting herself to take down her captor. Now, after three months of bed rest, she is being honored by the department — an honor she doesn't feel she lives up to but is persuaded to attend by the sharply dressed medical examiner, Maura Isles.
Also honored that night is a U.S. Marine who saved her fellow soldiers during a firefight in the Middle East. The car she's in explodes and Rizzoli heads back to active duty early to help solve the Marine's murder.
Rizzoli's life is complicated by her parents filing for divorce, and her mother, played by Lorraine Bracco, starts to intrude on her life more.
Rizzoli may be described as a tough-as-nails detective, but she lets her mother and siblings get under her skin, resulting in teenage-style frustration and angst. Isles comes off as more detached and aloof than last season.
The show has some of the elements of a good crime drama but can be frustrating to watch as Rizzoli has difficulty figuring out her relationship with her mother and ways that may be intended to lighten the mood of the show don't.
Also, there are some violence and sexual innuendo, along with implied premarital sex.
"The Closer" airs Mondays at 8 p.m. on TNT, followed by "Rizzoli and Isles" at 9 p.m.
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested with...
- NBC announces lead for live musical 'Peter Pan'
- A dozen children's books I could read every day
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 14
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested... 1