MINERAL WELLS, Texas — A firefighting Hotshot crew based out of Salt Lake City is on its way home from Texas after one of its members collapsed in the 105-degree heat while working on the fire line and died on the way to the hospital.
Caleb Hamm, of Boise, Idaho, was a member of the Bureau of Land Managements Bonneville Interagency Hotshot crew. And while it was his first year as a Hotshot firefighter, the 24-year-old did have six years of firefighting experience under his belt.
Hamm had been in the field with the Bonneville Hotshots fighting wildland fires for nearly two weeks before he died. The crew started in Georgia but has been fighting the 337 Fire near Mineral Wells, Texas, for the past week.
According to the BLM, Hamm was on the front lines of that fire Thursday when he collapsed in the 105-degree heat. He died while being flown to a local hospital.
Mitch Snow, director of external affairs for the BLM in Utah, has been working with the Hotshot crew in Texas since Thursday when his office was notified of Hamm's death. He said the members of the Bonneville Hotshot crew are having a tough time processing what happened to their fellow firefighter. He said this group of firefighters is very close.
"They're all still pretty much in shock," Snow said. "They can't believe it."
The standard operating procedure is to bring the crew home when something like this happens. The crew was expected to arrive in Utah sometime Friday afternoon.
A memorial service for Hamm was held Friday at Mineral Wells High School. Those in attendance included firefighters working the fire, local volunteers, law enforcement, as well as members of the community.
The memorial service was a tribute to Hamm's service and ultimate sacrifice. It included words from a local chaplain, poems, and the song "Amazing Grace" played on the bagpipes. The final call for Hamm was then made by a member of the local county sheriff's office.
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Firefighter puts injured dog on shoulders,...
- Officer being called a hero for saving Salt...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 50
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 36
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12
- Utah denies proposed ballot initiative... 10