“Well, after that was taken care of and I was able to change my system, not to accuse them (the Japanese) anymore, not to carry it anymore, I became a normal person,” he said, starting to choke up.
“Almost,” his wife interjected. The two laughed together.
“He’s over it so much that it’s almost like it’s another person’s life,” Carmen said.
“Now it is a story,” Hubert said. He is able to talk about it openly now, and he uses his story to teach others.
Hubert learned an incredible lesson of forgiveness and said, “You cannot honor our Heavenly Father if you hate your neighbor.” He has accepted that everyone, including anyone who is Japanese, counts as his neighbor and that it is “dumb” to not let go of things and forgive.
“You cannot with that attitude and that feeling in yourself, there’s no way that you can be uplifted and happy,” he said.
Hubert has certainly been humbled by his experience.
“What I learned over the years about the gospel as it is taught to me and about living it, and looking back, I have absolutely no business of walking on this earth today.”
Hubert lives in a beautiful home in Riverton, Utah, just a three-minute drive from the temple he serves in. He considers his service there to be payback for a good life, success, a good home and “a fantastic wife.”
He has told the story of what he calls his “first life” in firesides, presentations and to others who simply ask. His “first life” is far behind him now.
“I am happy,” he said. “I am free.”
- Temple Square opens 3 new exhibits
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- Family experiences a memorial miracle
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from around...
- How cemeteries and smartphones play a role in...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon... 131
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's... 78
- Lindsey Stirling responds to modesty... 24
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 20
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 8
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from... 7
- Jerry Earl Johnston: I can't move the... 4
- About Utah: Reliving their great escape... 4