“Well, after that was taken care of and I was able to change my system, not to accuse them (the Japanese) anymore, not to carry it anymore, I became a normal person,” he said, starting to choke up.
“Almost,” his wife interjected. The two laughed together.
“He’s over it so much that it’s almost like it’s another person’s life,” Carmen said.
“Now it is a story,” Hubert said. He is able to talk about it openly now, and he uses his story to teach others.
Hubert learned an incredible lesson of forgiveness and said, “You cannot honor our Heavenly Father if you hate your neighbor.” He has accepted that everyone, including anyone who is Japanese, counts as his neighbor and that it is “dumb” to not let go of things and forgive.
“You cannot with that attitude and that feeling in yourself, there’s no way that you can be uplifted and happy,” he said.
Hubert has certainly been humbled by his experience.
“What I learned over the years about the gospel as it is taught to me and about living it, and looking back, I have absolutely no business of walking on this earth today.”
Hubert lives in a beautiful home in Riverton, Utah, just a three-minute drive from the temple he serves in. He considers his service there to be payback for a good life, success, a good home and “a fantastic wife.”
He has told the story of what he calls his “first life” in firesides, presentations and to others who simply ask. His “first life” is far behind him now.
“I am happy,” he said. “I am free.”
- Elder Ballard, other LDS Church leaders...
- LDS missionaries in some countries no longer...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- First Presidency sends letter with counsel...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Episcopal Church becomes third Protestant...
- 'A beautiful day' in Haiti: Early converts...
- Jerusalem family finds a 2,000-year-old...
- What the LDS Church said about the... 180
- First Presidency sends letter with... 148
- When Satan steals your motherhood 87
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 55
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- Episcopal Church becomes third... 36
- Where were the Twelve Apostles when... 34
- LDS Church leaders release letter about... 31