Brigham held women in the highest, most tender regard and labored to promote their well-being and secure opportunities for them. He believed in women and their God-given capacity to lift, support and inspire men. He paid a reverent tribute to his mother:
"Of my mother — she that bore me — I can say, no better woman ever lived in the world than she was ... my mother taught her children all the time to honor the name of the Father and the Son, and to reverence the Holy Book. She said, 'Read it, observe its precepts and apply them to your lives as far as you can. Do everything that is good; do nothing that is evil; and if you see any persons in distress, administer to their wants; never suffer anger to arise in your bosoms, for if you do, you may be over-come by evil.'"
These were the great truths Brigham lived by, picking up the threads of his mother’s sacred faith and weaving them into his life — acting “the part of a father to all,” and bringing the children of Israel safely home to the valleys of Deseret.
It is the light of the mother that shines in the souls of her children. All of Abigail’s family joined the LDS Church, and lived lives of faithful, devoted service, blessing others, as their mother had taught them to do.
This, of course, was the consummate tribute to a woman who took what little life gave her without complaint — magnifying her gifts, magnifying the truth she cherished — raising up a son to become a Prophet of God.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Nelson Mandela's faith made him a worldwide...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 63
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 26
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 22
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 21
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 21
- Space and religion: How believers view... 13
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 8
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 8