"Banner of the Gospel" is enthralling with the spiritual insights and extraordinary dedication revealed from Woodruff's life. The book is an excellent resource for learning of Woodruff's comings and goings, his part in the expansion of the church from its infancy, his one-on-one relationships with the early presidents, and his courage in the face of adversity. "Banner of the Gospel" transports you through portions of his life in an insightful way. Through Woodruff, you walk in the footsteps of the early church.
Throughout his life, circumstances and accidents sought to take his life, but the Lord had other plans for him. Woodruff was true to the cause until his last breath. He suffered many hardships for the cause of the gospel including missing his wife Phoebe's funeral because mobs were seeking the leaders of the church. Woodruff's life was not easy, and he had many close brushes with death, yet the Lord preserved him.
He was a pioneer in every sense of the word.
— Becky Robinette Wright
* * * * *
"WASATCH SUMMER," by Anola Pickett, Cedar Fort, $9.99, 154 pages (f)
In Anola Pickett's "Wasatch Summer," 11-year-old Hannah Turner must face adversity and a big challenge. A huge mantle of responsibility is draped upon her shoulders as she is told to take her family's sheep herd to graze in the mountains in 1889 Cache Valley.
Hannah must face the elements and predators while facing her own doubts and fears. Her companions are two dogs and some chickens, but it is during this time that Hannah has a spiritual awakening. Feeling that she has nowhere to go but to her Heavenly Father, she has many experiences, and each strengthens her as she endures. It's her very trials that lead her to progression.
Hannah becomes very close to the Blackfeet, who teach her survival skills. The time together allows lasting ties to form between the shepherd girl and the Native Americans.
Travel back in time to 1889 Cache Valley and experience the magnificent journey of Hannah Turner as she matures spiritually in the midst of adversity in this captivating read.
Anyone interested in LDS, Native American or pioneer history will not be disappointed. Lovers of the great outdoors and the West will rejoice in the journey.
— Becky Robinette Wright
- Responding to Trump, Clinton says he has 'no...
- 1st edition Book of Mormon sells for $52,500...
- Pope prays at Armenia memorial after...
- Pope visits Armenia's closed border with...
- Picturing history: Historic Kirtland
- Tip for living: Building peace and resolving...
- Do you know of a Mormon Olympian or...
- LDS family stars in new TLC show, stresses...
- Defending the Faith: The challenge... 31
- Survey: White evangelicals say US no... 21
- 7 conservative Christians who are not... 12
- Responding to Trump, Clinton says he... 10
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 10
- LDS family stars in new TLC show,... 9
- Family of scholars: Utah family... 9
- Apocalypse when? How teachings on the... 7