The Seattle Times recently caught up with basketball player Aaron Dotson, who is transferring to Utah from LSU.
Former Utah assistant Jim Marsh, who coached Dotson in AAU ball, had nice things to say about the future Runnin' Ute. NCAA transfer rules will keep Dotson out of games until 2012-13. He'll have two seasons of eligibility.
"It's almost like a Christmas gift that he got to get into the Pac-12 with Utah and a new coach," Marsh told the newspaper. "I think, after a year of practice, when he's eligible, he'll make some big marks for the Utes."
— C.J. Cron is expected to receive a signing bonus in the $1.7 million range when he signs with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on Monday.
A tear in his throwing shoulder, however, will likely require surgery and sideline the first baseman for the rest of the summer.
— KCPW's Eric Ray spoke with ex-Ute Sione Pouha of the New York Jets, who is giving back to his hometown of Salt Lake City.
— CBSSports.com's Dennis Dodd ranked the college football coaches hot seats and Utah's Kyle Whittingham is one of 32 coaches to receive a "Don't even think it — can't be touched" score.
— And last, but not least . . . former Utah coach Urban Meyer could make his ESPN game debut at Ohio State on Sept. 3.
The Red Roundup is a sampling of Utah Utes-related news on the Web. It is compiled each weekday, except holidays.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48