11. Unselfishness and sensitivity
12. Justice and mercy
In the years following, the book spawned the website www.valuesparenting.com, where today hundreds of thousands of parents log on and work on the "value of the month" (or on "Joy Schools" for their younger children.)
And you could say it is all because of Oprah.
One postscript to the story of that first Oprah show: We had been on the Phil Donahue show just a few weeks prior, and 8-year-old Eli, possibly our feistiest child, had not liked Phil at all. "He wouldn't call on me," said Eli, "even when I raised my hand! He just likes to hear himself talk!"
Oprah treated Eli much better, giving him a chance to say a couple of things on air and treating him like he was important — a gift Oprah has always had. After the show, Eli rushed down to her, gave her a big hug around one of her legs, and said "Oh, Oprah, you are so much nicer than that Phil Donahue!"
Given the ratings war going on at that time between the two shows, Eli could not have said a better thing to Oprah. She grabbed his hand and took him on a private studio tour!
Note: What do you think of the 12 values listed? Are there others you would add? Do you think that focusing on one specific value each month with your children would work in your family?
Send your comments by clicking the "contact us" button at www.valuesparenting.com.
The Eyres' next book is "The Entitlement Trap: How to Rescue Your Child with a New Family System of Choosing, Earning, and Ownership." For information about preordering "The Entitlement Trap," see www.valuesparenting.com.
The Eyres are the founders of Joy Schools and of valuesparenting.com and the authors of numerous bestselling books on marriage, parenting and family. Their mission statement, developed while presiding over the England London South Mission, is "FORTIFY FAMILIES by celebrating commitment, popularizing parenting, bolstering balance and validating values."
Their newest book, now available in stores and online, is "5 Spiritual Solutions for Everyday Parenting Challenges," and their blog can be found at http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/81/A-World-of-Good.html. Visit the Eyres anytime at www.TheEyres.com or www.valuesparenting.com.
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- 19 inspiring Christmas quotes from President...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- LDS World: Jesus Christ is the solution
- How would LDS be affected by renewed US-Cuba...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- Defending the Faith: A modern witness... 44
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 27
- LDS Church to create new missions in... 20
- Christmas without Jesus 19
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 16
- Visiting minister urges unity among... 10
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 8