Deseret News file photo
Brooke White visits Utah this week to speak to aspiring musicians and perform at a scheduled concert with an unexpected guest.
The 2008 “American Idol” finalist will be the featured speaker at the “Soundcheck Series” in Salt Lake City on Thursday. White will highlight her top-five finish on “Idol,” her Billboard-charting single “Hold Up My Heart” and her experience creating an album with 10-year “Idol” judge Randy Jackson.
The event at Metcom Studios is meant to be “a night of networking and learning how to ‘Turn Your Success into More Success,’ ” series manager Russ Dixon said. Past speakers at the series include Neon Trees lead singer Tyler Glenn and former Michael Jackson producer Stuart Brawley.
White, a Mesa, Ariz., native, has been scheduled to perform June 24 at the Tahitian Noni International Ampitheatre for months. She will now be paired with pop rock artist Jack Matranga to debut their new Jack and White tour, “Gemini.”
Matranga, a Sacramento, Calif., native, was coupled with White earlier this year to co-write a song for White’s next solo record. Before long, the duo had written six songs together for an EP.
“I chalked it up to beginner’s luck, but after listening to the playback, I was hooked,” White said. “I knew that we had to write again.”
With Matranga and White officially beginning their tour in East Hollywood on June 30, Matranga said he is just glad to be along for the ride on the Wasatch Front.
“This is the Brooke White trip,” he said. “It’s her weekend, but I’m going to support. People are going to like Brooke White, that’s what they came to enjoy.
Dixon feels fortunate that White is speaking at the Soundcheck Series.
“We were a little nervous, thinking ‘how were we going to get somebody who has had so much success?’ ” he said. “Someone of her caliber with so much experience in the music business will have lots to offer to these groups of songwriters.”
The event begins at 6 p.m. at Metcom Studios, 352 S. 500 East in Salt Lake City. Cost is $20. For more information, visit www.soundcheckseries.com.
The Friday concert will be held at the Tahitian Noni International Ampitheatre, 333 Riverpark Way in Provo, from 7 to 10 p.m. Tickets are $10 for tandem general admission and $7 for single tickets.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- 9 Mormon moments in Sundance Film Festival...
- List: 10 Super Bowl ads you'll be talking about
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Why you don't want your...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- Dear Dad, you’re doing it all wrong (a...
- Defending the Faith: Rethinking... 27
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Southern California conference... 15
- Pornography addiction: another reason... 11
- New book examines 4th Article of Faith... 10
- Erin Stewart: Is free-range parenting... 8
- The U.S. could do much more for abused... 7
- UTA, health officials offering free... 5