Deseret News file photo
Brooke White visits Utah this week to speak to aspiring musicians and perform at a scheduled concert with an unexpected guest.
The 2008 “American Idol” finalist will be the featured speaker at the “Soundcheck Series” in Salt Lake City on Thursday. White will highlight her top-five finish on “Idol,” her Billboard-charting single “Hold Up My Heart” and her experience creating an album with 10-year “Idol” judge Randy Jackson.
The event at Metcom Studios is meant to be “a night of networking and learning how to ‘Turn Your Success into More Success,’ ” series manager Russ Dixon said. Past speakers at the series include Neon Trees lead singer Tyler Glenn and former Michael Jackson producer Stuart Brawley.
White, a Mesa, Ariz., native, has been scheduled to perform June 24 at the Tahitian Noni International Ampitheatre for months. She will now be paired with pop rock artist Jack Matranga to debut their new Jack and White tour, “Gemini.”
Matranga, a Sacramento, Calif., native, was coupled with White earlier this year to co-write a song for White’s next solo record. Before long, the duo had written six songs together for an EP.
“I chalked it up to beginner’s luck, but after listening to the playback, I was hooked,” White said. “I knew that we had to write again.”
With Matranga and White officially beginning their tour in East Hollywood on June 30, Matranga said he is just glad to be along for the ride on the Wasatch Front.
“This is the Brooke White trip,” he said. “It’s her weekend, but I’m going to support. People are going to like Brooke White, that’s what they came to enjoy.
Dixon feels fortunate that White is speaking at the Soundcheck Series.
“We were a little nervous, thinking ‘how were we going to get somebody who has had so much success?’ ” he said. “Someone of her caliber with so much experience in the music business will have lots to offer to these groups of songwriters.”
The event begins at 6 p.m. at Metcom Studios, 352 S. 500 East in Salt Lake City. Cost is $20. For more information, visit www.soundcheckseries.com.
The Friday concert will be held at the Tahitian Noni International Ampitheatre, 333 Riverpark Way in Provo, from 7 to 10 p.m. Tickets are $10 for tandem general admission and $7 for single tickets.
- Can you guess when these 17 animated Disney...
- Nothing to frown about: 3 baby arrivals in 3...
- How to prevent cognitive decline related to...
- This couple lost their wedding location the...
- There is no such thing as a bulletproof marriage
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- 11-year-old girl honors sick grandfather by...
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'...
- Pornography conference probes perils,... 16
- Influx of Christian programming at... 10
- She paid for a family's groceries and... 6
- Nothing to frown about: 3 baby arrivals... 6
- Families make videos to reassure... 5
- 'Be yourself in camouflage': 'Duck... 4
- Intersex surgeries spark move away from... 4
- ‘Dr. Oz’ will mount on-air... 4