New poll finds Utahns back guest worker program; don't want GOP delegates to call for repeal
"Once people are educated on the bill, they see that it needs to be repealed," he said. "I don't think most Utahns support amnesty, and I don't think most Utahns want a bill that's unconstitutional."
Sen. Luz Robles, D-Salt Lake, said support is growing for HB116 in the poll because Utahns are doing just that, learning about the effects of a guest-worker program.
"People are willing to put emotions aside and focus on the more pragmatic pieces," she said. "I think it's more reflective of the fact there's more education on the issue."
Robles, whose own guest-worker bill was set aside by Republicans last session in favor of HB116, said she hopes the poll impacts GOP delegates.
"I think it was an overall reflection of where the state of Utah is," Robles said of the poll results. "The whole idea of delegates is that they represent communities, so hopefully they'll follow those."
Salt Lake Chamber spokesman Marty Carpenter said the business community has "been convinced for quite some time that the majority of Utah voters support this type of approach to immigration reform, a guest-worker program. The question becomes, will the delegates reflect the opinions of their caucuses."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: dnewspolitics
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- Former Attorney General John Swallow left...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 105
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 39
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19