New poll finds Utahns back guest worker program; don't want GOP delegates to call for repeal
"Once people are educated on the bill, they see that it needs to be repealed," he said. "I don't think most Utahns support amnesty, and I don't think most Utahns want a bill that's unconstitutional."
Sen. Luz Robles, D-Salt Lake, said support is growing for HB116 in the poll because Utahns are doing just that, learning about the effects of a guest-worker program.
"People are willing to put emotions aside and focus on the more pragmatic pieces," she said. "I think it's more reflective of the fact there's more education on the issue."
Robles, whose own guest-worker bill was set aside by Republicans last session in favor of HB116, said she hopes the poll impacts GOP delegates.
"I think it was an overall reflection of where the state of Utah is," Robles said of the poll results. "The whole idea of delegates is that they represent communities, so hopefully they'll follow those."
Salt Lake Chamber spokesman Marty Carpenter said the business community has "been convinced for quite some time that the majority of Utah voters support this type of approach to immigration reform, a guest-worker program. The question becomes, will the delegates reflect the opinions of their caucuses."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: dnewspolitics
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- A firsthand perspective: Reflecting on the...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Mia Love announces she's officially running...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water...
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Utah soldier presumed dead in Afghanistan
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 63
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 45
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 19
- Attorney General John Swallow says he's... 16
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 14
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 13