Author Peter Mountford beautifully brings together deception, greed, love, international politics and finance in his debut novel, “A Young Man’s Guide to Late Capitalism.”
Mountford, an experienced fiction writer, draws on experiences from his own life, having lived and worked internationally in “A Young Man’s Guide to Late Capitalism.”
The book takes readers to La Paz, Bolivia, where protagonist Gabriel de Boya takes a job for the notoriously unscrupulous hedge fund — The Calloway Group.
De Boya poses as a freelance journalist covering the presidential election in an effort to obtain inside information that could affect those who have invested in Bolivia and relay that information back to his employers.
His deceptions and greed force him to make difficult decisions that cost him dearly in his relationships with his girlfriend Lenka, the president-elect’s press secretary, and his mother, which changed him from his idealistic ways to being driven by greed.
Mountford’s ability to convey topics such as international finance and South American politics in a way that leaves readers wanting more speaks to his abilities as a writer. He creates interesting characters whose outcomes readers can generally care about and pushes the story along at a good pace.
In addition, his prose is superb that makes “A Young Man’s Guide to Late Capitalism” a compelling read.
While Mountford does provide an entertaining read, he doesn’t shy away from adult content. There are adult situations and some profanity, but nothing of a graphic nature.
IF YOU GO ...
What: Peter Mountford book signing and reading
When: Thursday, June 16, 7 p.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
Jarrod M. Hiatt lives in Utah and graduated from Weber State University with a degree in journalism. His email is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Five for Families: Live-action Disney films...
- 2,000 LED-tagged pigeons stage show in NYC sky
- Carnegie Hall celebrates 125 years and counting
- It's May the Fourth: What's next for the Star...
- Haunting, thoughtful 'Jane Eyre' at Hale...
- Odysseo extends stay in Utah to May 30
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: All the world's a staged...
- Hale theater looks ahead to '17 season as...
- It's May the Fourth: What's next for... 2
- UTubers: Lindsey Stirling, Alex Boye,... 2
- A Marvel movie primer: Movies,... 1
- 2,000 LED-tagged pigeons stage show in... 0
- Carnegie Hall celebrates 125 years and... 0
- Five for Families: Live-action Disney... 0
- Haunting, thoughtful 'Jane Eyre' at... 0
- Odysseo extends stay in Utah to May 30 0