Author Peter Mountford beautifully brings together deception, greed, love, international politics and finance in his debut novel, “A Young Man’s Guide to Late Capitalism.”
Mountford, an experienced fiction writer, draws on experiences from his own life, having lived and worked internationally in “A Young Man’s Guide to Late Capitalism.”
The book takes readers to La Paz, Bolivia, where protagonist Gabriel de Boya takes a job for the notoriously unscrupulous hedge fund — The Calloway Group.
De Boya poses as a freelance journalist covering the presidential election in an effort to obtain inside information that could affect those who have invested in Bolivia and relay that information back to his employers.
His deceptions and greed force him to make difficult decisions that cost him dearly in his relationships with his girlfriend Lenka, the president-elect’s press secretary, and his mother, which changed him from his idealistic ways to being driven by greed.
Mountford’s ability to convey topics such as international finance and South American politics in a way that leaves readers wanting more speaks to his abilities as a writer. He creates interesting characters whose outcomes readers can generally care about and pushes the story along at a good pace.
In addition, his prose is superb that makes “A Young Man’s Guide to Late Capitalism” a compelling read.
While Mountford does provide an entertaining read, he doesn’t shy away from adult content. There are adult situations and some profanity, but nothing of a graphic nature.
IF YOU GO ...
What: Peter Mountford book signing and reading
When: Thursday, June 16, 7 p.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
Jarrod M. Hiatt lives in Utah and graduated from Weber State University with a degree in journalism. His email is email@example.com
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why we...
- PBS science correspondent Miles O'Brien says...
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes'
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Brandon Mull's new 'Sky Raiders' shares...
- Dancing for Food: Dance event raises $40K for...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 63
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 11
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes' 7
- PBS science correspondent Miles O'Brien... 1
- First look at modernized 'Annie'... 1
- Wacky 'Mr. Peabody and Sherman' makes... 1