Utah Shakespeare Festival
Utah has a surprisingly close connection with Broadway and the Tony awards. With Sunday’s CBS broadcast of the 65th annual presentations, test your familiarity with the state’s link to the Tonys with this quiz:
1. Robert Peterson, a former University of Utah professor, took over the role played by Robert Goulet in this show that was awarded four 1961 Tonys. Bonus question: At age 70, Peterson performed in a Utah production of the musical honored with five Tonys in 1966 and three in 2003.
2. Name the guest soloists at the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas concerts who have earned a combined 10 Tonys (and 17 nominations). Bonus: This Tony winner conducted the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the New York Philharmonic on “The Joy of Christmas” recording. Double bonus: Name the song from a Tony-winning musical that President Thomas S. Monson personally requested following the soloist’s 2008 choir performance.
3. Utah native Keene Curtis, with over 30 Broadway credits, won a 1971 Tony for best featured actor in this show. Bonus: Name the musical awarded five Tonys for its original 1983 production in which Curtis performed the role of Albin.
4. The 2008 Tony winner for best revival will play the Capitol Theater Jan. 3-8, 2012. Bonus: Utah native Taylor Frey played what role in the Broadway revival?
5. This Utah theater company earned a 2000 Tony for outstanding regional theater. Bonus: Name the comedy, starring Tony winners Patti LuPone and Faith Prince in the 2001 Broadway premiere, that is included in this company’s summer season.
6. This 2009 musical drama, nominated for 11 Tony awards and winning three, will open Pioneer Theatre’s 2011-12 season. Bonus: Preston Sadleir, who currently plays the role of Henry in the first national tour of the same show, graduated from what Utah university.
7. At Orem’s Hale Center Theater, Audra McDonald re-created her role in this 2007 revival of the musical that won a 1964 Tony at its premiere. Bonus: Starring opposite McDonald at this benefit was Hale (theaters) family member Will Swenson who was Tony-nominated for what show?
8. Park City High graduate Ramona Mallory played a featured role in this 2009 revival that won Tonys for its two leading ladies (and six Tonys for its 1973 premiere). Bonus: What is the connection of her Utah resident parents to the musical? Double bonus: Mallory’s fellow cast member, Hunter Ryan Herdlicka, performed in “Fiddler on the Roof” in what Utah theater company?
9. Sundance founder and Utah resident Robert Redford made his Broadway debut in this 1964 Tony-winning play. Bonus: Name the five-time Tony-winning show that will play the Eccles Outdoor Stage at Sundance Resort.
10. Merrill Osmond performed in West Valley’s Hale Centre Theatre production of this 1999 best musical Tony nominee. Bonus: Osmond siblings Marie and Donny recently headlined “A Broadway Christmas,” but what are their other credits on Broadway?
1. “Camelot” Bonus: “Man of La Mancha”
2. Angela Lansbury, five Tonys (and seven nominations); Audra McDonald, four Tonys (six nominations); and Brian Stokes Mitchell, one Tony (four nominations). Bonus: Leonard Bernstein. Double bonus: “The Impossible Dream,” sung impromptu by Mitchell.
3. “The Rothschilds” Bonus: “Le Cage aux Folles”
4. “South Pacific” Bonus: Petty Officer Hamilton Steeves
5. Utah Shakespeare Company Bonus: “Noises Off”
6. “Next to Normal” Bonus: BYU
7. “110 in the Shade” Bonus: “Hair”
8. “A Little Night Music” Bonus: Mallory’s parents, Mark Lambert and Victoria Mallory, created the husband-wife roles of Anne (the role Ramona re-created in the Broadway revival) and Henrick in the 1973 Broadway production. Double bonus: Utah Shakespeare Festival
9. “Barefoot in the Park” Bonus: “The Sound of Music”
10. “The Civil War” Bonus: Marie in “The King and I” and Donny in “Little Johnny Jones” and “Beauty and the Beast.” (While Donny has starred in “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,” he never performed in the show on Broadway.)
To view clips from this year’s Tony-nominated shows, visit http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/interactive/video/index.html?category=showclips.
- Utah company brings Disney characters to...
- Roy dancer impresses 'So You Think You Can...
- 2 'art detectives' solve an LDS Church...
- Is the video game industry embracing the...
- Chris Hicks: A trio of family friendly films...
- Chris Hicks: End-of-summer throwaway movies...
- Five for Families: Kick off football season...
- Edge of Extinction game a must-have for...