When the visit was over, President Kimball, still in his robe, said, "Oh, do you have to go?" As if nothing would please him more than to have them stay.
In his final years as his health declined, his counselor Gordon B. Hinckley carried the load for the First Presidency and visited President Kimball often to discuss church business.
President Ezra Taft Benson
Insight into President Benson's short stay in the Hotel Utah is limited. He moved out before the hotel was remodeled.
While he was still there, a November 1987 article in the Ensign magazine reports that President Benson and his wife, Flora, danced at the Constitutional Bicentennial Ball at the Hotel Utah on Sept. 18, 1987.
His counselors, President Hinckley and President Thomas S. Monson, and their wives led a promenade that included other general authorities and their wives. Songs and dances from the colonial period entertained those in attendance.
"Few occasions in life hold as much significance as this momentous anniversary and provide greater reason for celebration," President Benson said on that patriotic occasion.
Sources: "Lengthen Your Stride: The Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball," (2005, Edward L. Kimball); "The Hotel: Salt Lake's Classy Lady, The Hotel Utah, 1911-1986," (1986, Leonard J. Arrington and Heidi S. Swinton); "Expression of Faith: Testimonies of Latter-day Scholars," (1996, Susan Easton Black), HotelUtah100.com
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its history,...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- The pipes are calling: Salt Lake Methodist...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 111
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 66
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- Space and religion: How believers view... 21
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 14
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the... 9
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 9
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its... 9