Red roundup: Jim Boylen penciled in Josh Sharp as a starter
The national media is picking up on returning LDS Church missionary Josh Sharp's transfer from Utah to BYU.
Yahoo! Sports' blog "The Dagger" spoke with Jim Boylen earlier this week and the former Ute coach said that he had Sharp "penciled in as a starter" and considers the 6-foot-7 forward "a high-major guy like J.J. O'Brien." Boylen also noted that Sharp was "poorly evaluated coming out of high school."
— O'Brien made his transfer to San Diego State official earlier this week, opting to remain in the Mountain West Conference instead of playing in the Pac-12.
— CBSSports.com has a list of early football commitments in the Pac-12.
— Former Ute Sione Pouha of the New York Jets has organized workouts for the defensive line.
— And finally, Alex Smith's leadership skills are showing in San Francisco.
The Red Roundup is a sampling of Utah Utes news on the Web. It is compiled each week day, except holidays.
THANK YOU READERS! The Red Roundup has surpassed a milestone with more than 500,000 hits.
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Utes football fan raising money to put 'Utah'...
- Back from injury, BYU QB Taysom Hill wants...
- Dante Exum returning to Utah after injuring...
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 30
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 24
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 17
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs... 16
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other... 15