Red roundup: Jim Boylen penciled in Josh Sharp as a starter
The national media is picking up on returning LDS Church missionary Josh Sharp's transfer from Utah to BYU.
Yahoo! Sports' blog "The Dagger" spoke with Jim Boylen earlier this week and the former Ute coach said that he had Sharp "penciled in as a starter" and considers the 6-foot-7 forward "a high-major guy like J.J. O'Brien." Boylen also noted that Sharp was "poorly evaluated coming out of high school."
— O'Brien made his transfer to San Diego State official earlier this week, opting to remain in the Mountain West Conference instead of playing in the Pac-12.
— CBSSports.com has a list of early football commitments in the Pac-12.
— Former Ute Sione Pouha of the New York Jets has organized workouts for the defensive line.
— And finally, Alex Smith's leadership skills are showing in San Francisco.
The Red Roundup is a sampling of Utah Utes news on the Web. It is compiled each week day, except holidays.
THANK YOU READERS! The Red Roundup has surpassed a milestone with more than 500,000 hits.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20