Red roundup: Jim Boylen penciled in Josh Sharp as a starter
The national media is picking up on returning LDS Church missionary Josh Sharp's transfer from Utah to BYU.
Yahoo! Sports' blog "The Dagger" spoke with Jim Boylen earlier this week and the former Ute coach said that he had Sharp "penciled in as a starter" and considers the 6-foot-7 forward "a high-major guy like J.J. O'Brien." Boylen also noted that Sharp was "poorly evaluated coming out of high school."
— O'Brien made his transfer to San Diego State official earlier this week, opting to remain in the Mountain West Conference instead of playing in the Pac-12.
— CBSSports.com has a list of early football commitments in the Pac-12.
— Former Ute Sione Pouha of the New York Jets has organized workouts for the defensive line.
— And finally, Alex Smith's leadership skills are showing in San Francisco.
The Red Roundup is a sampling of Utah Utes news on the Web. It is compiled each week day, except holidays.
THANK YOU READERS! The Red Roundup has surpassed a milestone with more than 500,000 hits.
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- BYU men's basketball: Winder steps up big in...
- Jordan's Austin Kafentzis will keep his...
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all brawl...
- BYU closes season with painful loss in Miami...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 106
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43