Red roundup: Jim Boylen penciled in Josh Sharp as a starter
The national media is picking up on returning LDS Church missionary Josh Sharp's transfer from Utah to BYU.
Yahoo! Sports' blog "The Dagger" spoke with Jim Boylen earlier this week and the former Ute coach said that he had Sharp "penciled in as a starter" and considers the 6-foot-7 forward "a high-major guy like J.J. O'Brien." Boylen also noted that Sharp was "poorly evaluated coming out of high school."
— O'Brien made his transfer to San Diego State official earlier this week, opting to remain in the Mountain West Conference instead of playing in the Pac-12.
— CBSSports.com has a list of early football commitments in the Pac-12.
— Former Ute Sione Pouha of the New York Jets has organized workouts for the defensive line.
— And finally, Alex Smith's leadership skills are showing in San Francisco.
The Red Roundup is a sampling of Utah Utes news on the Web. It is compiled each week day, except holidays.
THANK YOU READERS! The Red Roundup has surpassed a milestone with more than 500,000 hits.
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for fouling strategy
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Mike Sorensen: Manning's storybook ending...
- Oregon overpowers Utes for 76-66 victory
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 102
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 83
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 63
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 23
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22