Red roundup: Jim Boylen penciled in Josh Sharp as a starter
The national media is picking up on returning LDS Church missionary Josh Sharp's transfer from Utah to BYU.
Yahoo! Sports' blog "The Dagger" spoke with Jim Boylen earlier this week and the former Ute coach said that he had Sharp "penciled in as a starter" and considers the 6-foot-7 forward "a high-major guy like J.J. O'Brien." Boylen also noted that Sharp was "poorly evaluated coming out of high school."
— O'Brien made his transfer to San Diego State official earlier this week, opting to remain in the Mountain West Conference instead of playing in the Pac-12.
— CBSSports.com has a list of early football commitments in the Pac-12.
— Former Ute Sione Pouha of the New York Jets has organized workouts for the defensive line.
— And finally, Alex Smith's leadership skills are showing in San Francisco.
The Red Roundup is a sampling of Utah Utes news on the Web. It is compiled each week day, except holidays.
THANK YOU READERS! The Red Roundup has surpassed a milestone with more than 500,000 hits.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 282
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 70
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 33